Monday, November 03, 2008

We're parents!

I have been wanting to post for a while, but have been at a complete loss as to what to say. We have our baby, and he's wonderful. We are also 100% overwhelmed and exhausted new parents. Having a baby is an indescribable experience. The whole experience is so much more physically, mentally, and spiritually consuming than I ever imagined. I knew it would be hard. I have seen friends and family go through it, and I know it was hard for them. I just didn't know how hard it actually was for them because everyone I know who has had a new baby is very good at putting on a happy face. Either that, or they're just big fat fakers who say they're okay when they are anything but.

We went on a walk yesterday. We bundled the baby up in some warm clothes, put him in his Snuggli carrier, and we walked to our neighbor's house to return the dishes they left with us when they brought us dinner just after we got home from the hospital. Our neighbors have two little boys, the youngest who is just a year old. They asked how we're doing. We smiled and replied, "We're okay." They laughed and said, "Don't lie to us." They know exactly how we feel, and they saw right through our happy faces. Everyone also says that the two-week mark is the hardest. I hope they're right, and that something gets easier from here.

The details:
James Reed was born at 7:56 a.m. on Friday October 17, after a 16+ hour labor and a 5-minute delivery! He weighed 7 lbs. 1 oz. and was 20 inches long. He weighed in at 7 lbs. 4 oz. at the doctor's office the other day! And we can tell that he is getting bigger and fatter, since his cheeks are filling out, and he is developing fat rolls on his thighs.

Two aspects of my current emotional roller coaster...
Moments I experience overwhelming joy:
~When my tiny baby curls up on my chest like a little frog.
~When he's hungry and triggers his rooting reflex with his hands and moves his little head back & forth.
~When he's awake and content, and his big dark eyes peer around at...whatever it is that fascinates little babies.
~When he spends time with his daddy. I have loved watching my husband become a father.
~Watching his face when he's dreaming. He has a very expressive little face, and I love catching the occasional little smile!
~When he gets done eating, and he gives me his "I'm done" face. It's the same every time. Pretty cute!

Moments I experience overwhelming frustration:
~When James has slept all day and decides to be wide awake at 2:00 in the morning.
~When he is fussy and crying in pain, and I can't figure out how to help him. (We think he has a tummy ache. And yes, we can tell the difference between his "I'm Hungry" cry and his "Something is hurting me" cry.
~When I have to take my 5-day-old baby boy to the doctor's office for a routine checkup. I wonder why I take so many precautions to keep my baby germ-free when I just have to take him to a germ-infested doctor's office at 5 days old!
~When I realize that I have gotten frustrated with my two-week-old tiny, helpless baby. Motherly guilt sets in very quickly!

I'm so grateful for all the help we have been given from friends and family. I have never been so grateful for my mother when she came to help us. She brought sanity with her when she walked in the door. And our friends have been unbelievably generous with us, giving so much time and energy on our behalf. I only hope that I am as willing and able to help them when they need it.

And Heath, I'm sorry for the Sap. But I'm a new mom, so I'm entitled to a little sap.

4 comments:

Matt and Christy said...

I am so happy for you and George. Motherhood has been defining for me, as well. I feel entirely like myself when I am a being a mother. I am also glad that you are able to see good things as well as hard things. It is good (but not always easy) to maintain a balance between the two! I wish that we lived closer so that we could help you out!

Linzi Lou, Samantha Boo, Madi Moo, and Chris too said...

Can't wait to meet the little guy! and yes, you do deserve some sap.....

lulu said...

I love you Mindy!

Heath said...

As I said, the sap has its time and place... just not on my blog. Good luck Mindy. Be excellent to each other.