Saturday, November 08, 2008

Accomplishment Girl


I love superheroes. Some of my favorites: The Incredibles, The X-Men (only the first two movies), Batman, Heroes, and I admit that I used to faithfully watch Lois & Clark, the New Adventures of Superman. When I was in grad school, I created my own superhero persona to help me gear myself up to tackle my always way-too-long To Do List. I was always much more productive when I dubbed myself Accomplishment Girl than I ever was as just plain old Mindy. Sadly, when I graduated three years ago, Accomplishment Girl hasn't been needed as often, and I have rarely felt as productive as I did on those days in grad school.

Saturday, I felt like Accomplishment Girl made a return appearance! As a new mom, here is what I was able to accomplish in one day:
I fed my baby and put him down for a nap.
I did some dishes.
I took a shower!!!
I did some filing that I have been putting off for weeks and weeks.
I called the phone company and had them fix several problems with our bill. (Waging war with large corporations is never fun, but I was very pleased to speak to a competent customer service rep today! Rare occasion!)
I fed my baby...while talking on the phone to the AT&T lady.
I fixed lunch for George and me--post Cardio exam #2!
George and I went to a wedding reception.
Then we went to the grocery store.
I fixed dinner, proving to myself that I can be a mom and still make pizza.

All that in one day! Oh, and Friday, I did the laundry...all five loads of it washed, dried, folded and put away! Hard to believe, since I have spent every other day the past three weeks doing hardly more than getting myself out of the chair to wolf down a bowl of cereal before tending to the baby again. Anyone else impressed with me? I certainly am!

5 comments:

Matt and Christy said...

I'm impressed! You had a very productive day. I love days when I feel like I got a lot accomplished. But I'm also used to days of getting nothing done :)

Maggie said...

Good job! I think Accomplishment Girl will be making a big comeback in the weeks to come.

What is Accomplishment Girl's disguise so that we don't mistake her for Mindy?

Britta said...

I love the drawing. You should get that put on a mug and a T-shirt, then use them when you need to be Accomplishment Girl. You can also make a cape! Fun!

Pulcheria said...

Wahoo! You are amazing!! It does feel good to be able to get anything done with a newborn! (And I found that if I added "snuggle time" to my to-do list, it helped me feel accomplished even on less-productive days.)

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

You over-achiever, you. You put me to shame. It was good to see you out and about (and I had no idea you had already had a full day!)