Thursday, August 09, 2012

I Am a Mother

Okay, I'm baring my soul here, people.  Please bear with me.

I have been thinking a lot about motherhood lately.  I have been struggling a lot with my job: my kids, feelings of inadequacy, lack of motivation, loneliness, fatigue, anger, lack of control, guilt, and the monotony of taking care of my children and house.  It feels like an never-ending cycle of preparing food, trying to get the kids to eat it, and then cleaning it all up.  Five times every day.  My sweet little Hobbes is the worst eater.  He would much rather play with his food than eat it.  It is always, Always smeared all over his tray, his shirt, his face and hair, and all over the floor.  And I am going to admit that I hate cleaning it up fives times a day.  And at the end of the day, when I'm cleaning it up again, the monotony of it all gets to me. I feel a flood of all of those negative emotions, I'm feel tired when I'm doing bedtime with the kids, and then I am not at my best with my children.  My poor, wonderful children who deserve the best from me at all times.

My good friend wrote a beautiful post on Mother's Day.  She wrote about how natural it is for her to be a mother, like she was created for this specific purpose.  I have thought about that often and thought how lucky she is.  How lucky to be so natural at something that is so all-consuming in life, and something that is so very important.

I have also felt a bit envious because I have never felt that.  I have always wanted to feel that, but I never have.  I always wanted to be a mom.  I always thought I would be great at it, that I would love every moment, that there was nothing else I could ever do.  Then I had Gunner.  He was so hard from the very beginning, and I suffered from severe PPD.  Gunner continues to be a challenge.  I still struggle almost every day, and I have realized that I'm not what I always hoped I would be.  Mothering has never felt natural to me.

It is hard for me.  There are days that I don't think I can continue.  There are days I want to quit.  There are days I think my children deserve better than me.  There are days I think I should get a full-time job and hire professionals to care for my kids because they would do a better job.

My friend, Chelsey, just wrote a great post about stay-at-home-moms.  What impressed me about this post was how she described her desire to raise her children.  She wants memories and good relationships with her children.  She chooses to stay at home with her kids because it is the best thing for her family.  She takes pride in her job and does everything she can to do her best.

Lately, I have had to redefine what I want from this role in my life, what I want to give, and how I want to accomplish it all.  I have talked with Spiff.  I have gone to the Lord for help.  I am still working it all out.  I desperately want to be a good mom.  I want my decision to stay home with my kids to truly be the best thing for my family.  I want my kids to know how much I love them and that they are so very special.  I want to have good relationships with them so that I can help them become the very best they can be.  I want to be able to look past this difficult phase of young kids needing me constantly and see my boys as responsible, happy, healthy adults.  Because that's what it's all about, isn't it?  Helping our children become self-sufficient contributing members of society.  And hopeful ones who will return home often and hug their proud mama.

If you read Chelsey's post, then you read this next part already.  In case you didn't read it, I'm posting it here.  I just loved the advice she passed on from a friend.  It encompasses so many things I struggle with as a mother.  It shows me that I am not alone in my feelings.  It reminds me that I have tools to work with when things are hard.  I have printed this out to post in my home.  I will read it every day until it becomes so much a part of me that I hopefully won't have to work so hard to be better at mothering.

I am a mother.  It was my choice to have children, and it is my choice what kind of a mother I will be.  I choose to try my best for my children.


1. In homemaking and mothering, what matters most is that your home is happy. If you have to let everything else go to get this one thing right, you will have traded well.

2. Kids can't hurry. They try, but...they fail. (I usually like to move at Cheetah Speed, in accomplishing household things and running errands. Let's get it done. I wait for no man. But doing things with little kids has turned my cheetah into one who one only has three legs, one of which is broken and one of which is five inches shorter than all the others. And also the cheetah is carsick, and shedding weird patches of hair, and drooling a lot. Whatever. Anyway, it's inefficient and s-l-o-w.) If you can only accomplish something by hurrying, don't. It is not worth the frustration that will ensue. Try again on a different day when you have more time.

3. No phase (or day) lasts forever. To me this is a reminder to breath it in deeply when it's fun and let it go with a sigh, when it's hard. This, too, shall pass.

4. It's easier to preempt a problem than to deal with its aftermath. (Following this advice could mean almost anything...hiding extra diapers in the car, giving D a nap when he has to stay up late for E's baseball game, separating tired children at the dinner table because they WILL start fighting if they're sitting next to each other, packing a snack or some crayons and paper if we're going to be out for a while, etc.) It is worth the time it takes to look at a situation that you know will push your limits and say, "What will make it hard? How can I make the hard stuff easier?"

5. Sometimes (a lot of times) the kid who did the hitting needs to be held even more than the one who got hit.

6. Be consistent. Follow through with consequences. Do something when you're counting and you actually get to "3". No means no. And praise, praise, praise the good stuff!

7. Smile at your husband and children. Just out of the blue, for no reason other than that they exist, they are yours, and that is a blessing. Wink. Mouth a silent, "I love you." Consistent, small displays of affection go a long way.

8. Pray together with your kids. Especially when you are grasping at sanity and self-control. Gather them around you, hold hands, and pray, even if you have to sob your way through it. Tell God that you are having a hard time. That you can't think clearly or don't know what to do. Ask Him--right there, out loud in front of your children--for forgiveness, to give you more love for your family, for help becoming a better mother. I've tried this a number of times. Every time, I have been changed. I finish praying and my instinct is to draw my children to me, hold them, apologize, and express my love to them. We get up and we try again, but it is better. Different. This is a magical piece of advice from a very dear friend. I wish I remembered it more often.

9. Admit when you blew it. Tell your kids you're sorry. My great sister-in-law put herself in time-out once after she lost her temper...chair facing the wall, timer on and all. Kids learn from parental mistakes and how they're handled. They are quick to forgive. Apologizing to them teaches them to apologize, and that everybody makes mistakes.

10. If you need time to yourself to get stuff done, you can usually get it by spending some undistracted time with your kids first. I read once about a mom who swore that if she took 15 minutes helping her kids get started in a play game (building a couch fort, making a Lego creation, helping them put on dress up clothes and makeup, gathering sticks and rocks for a pretend campsight, etc.) they would then play happily with that thing, alone, for at least 45 minutes. Fifteen minutes buys you forty-five. Not bad. I've tried this one a lot--it usually works nicely. Also, turns out it's super fun to forget about the phone and the laundry for a little bit and just play with your kids. Like a kid.

11. You're doing better than you think you are. If your kids know you love them, and if you're just trying to do a good job, that's enough. Forgive yourself for the stuff you aren't getting right quite yet.

8 comments:

Madame Palmkey said...

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. Get that cheetah some rogaine and a peg leg. It will give her some flair, if not more speed. :(

KevandChels said...

just so ya know, i def struggle with these feelings too some days, like if a professional raised my kids they might turn out smarter, happier because mommy can get cranky because she's not paid, etc., etc. i think about this all the time, and frankly, i struggle the most seeing some of my friends "do it all". work, teach their children to memorize all of luke 2 at christmas time, have perfectly behaved children, etc. but i try to keep reminding myself that the Lord has confidence in me!!!! You know that scripture in Isaiah, i think it's there, if the Lord be with than who does it matter who is against me?, that applies to motherhood, not just war:) He knows our shortcomings and picked us to raise our children regardless, maybe because of those weaknesses. I think of this when my children forgive me so quickly. Kids are amazing! I also know the Lord can make weak things strong, and can make our weaknesses into strengths when we turn to Him. I think you're awesome! Just the fact that you're so thoughtful and concerned on the whole matter, that shows how wonderful of a mother you are!

Lauren said...

Sometimes mothering downright stinks. Just yesterday I was despairing over what in the world I'm going to do with boy #3 arrives since I couldn't even handle two of them. Luckily today has been a new and happier day, which started last night with fervent prayer that things would go better. [note, it ended up taking me half an hour to write this because J decided to have a total meltdown temper tantrum, which involved trying to beat me and little brother. sigh.]

Not sure if you were in the market for advice or just venting (which is fine) so take these suggestions or leave them.

I don't feed my kids things that are inherently messy at all meals. Mornings consist of a dry cup of cheerios and a closed cup of milk. At lunch (PBJ sammies and whatever else I feel like serving) I found that I can't give B a regular sammy because he smears the PB everywhere. But for whatever reason, if I give him tiny pieces of bread spread with the tiniest amount of PB or jam, he will still pick at it, but it doesn't end up in his hair. Dinner is almost always messy, but that's fine because it's almost time for bed and clothing changes or a bath. Snacks during the day are things I've chosen that aren't terribly messy, like crackers or raisins. Though I can totally see how these innocent things can become messes in the hands of a toddler.

I really appreciate being able to work a little outside the home. Perhaps you could arrange something to get out and teach one day a week? Even if the money you might make goes right to paying a day of child care, it is still getting out of the house and doing something you like and behaving like an adult and not just a mom.

I want you to know that I really admire how hard you work. I cannot imagine doing this with a husband in medical school and not having him around consistently. I think you're a fantastic person and even when we're ready to scream (or are screaming) and want to throw our kids into a closet with their limbs and mouth duct-taped, they're still better off with us than many children in this world.

Matt and Christy said...

I feel the same way you do, Mindy. Motherhood has never come as naturally to me as it does to others, and I feel guilty about it all the time. I find myself thinking more and more frequently that I should go get a job and have someone else raise my kids. Like your friend, I find that it helps to spend a little while doing something enjoyable with my kids. It reminds me of why I'm doing this difficult job. I sure wish that we lived closer so we could get together.

Rita said...

I am so glad that I read this post. It couldn't have come at a better time... Just so you know, I am dying here. I cried through your post because I am in the same situation. Just quit work and wondering why. I often question where my sweet son went and he is probably wondering where his fun mom went. I feel as though our day consists of time outs with maybe a few other things if we can fit them in. I am hoping its the age. I am struggling with this almost 4 stage. I am no good at it.

Anyways... thank you. I will try all of your suggestions... even the ones that I already do... try, try again. And good luck to you. I am sorry that I don't have any advice... I am at a loss right now. I have no confidence in my parenting ability. I am going to repent tonight for ever judging anyone for their parenting.

Can't wait to live in MN with you.

Motion DeSmiths said...

Thanks for your honesty and this awesome list.

Pulcheria said...

I am in the group that needed this (and cried as I read it), ...but you already know that. Thanks for putting your feelings out there to help the rest of us. LOVE you!

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

You are amazing. My motto this year has been President Monson's quote,
"Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says, 'I'll try again tomorrow.'"

I have been overwhelmed a lot this year with 4 little kids 5 and under. My boys fight and use potty jokes (I promised my kids never would tell those ridiculous jokes!.) Sometimes my daughter seems like a teenager. I'm tired, a lot. My kids are in kindergarten but don't know how to read...and I'm a TEACHER! So...I can totally feel it. It was awful watching Ry and Abby go to kindergarten because I was jealous. I didn't want to go home. I wanted to stay there and teach and be really good at it again and get a million compliments and get paid for doing extra workshops for teachers, etc. I wanted recognition and I hated that I wasn't going to get any. Turns out that I'm doing ok now. I love them going to school and making friends. I love being there for them when they walk in the door. That's why I love that quote. Some days stink (especially when hubs is gone! Residency stinks! We haven't had a family dinner together FOREVER and we're supposed to be in an easy residency, so I can only imagine what's going on everywhere else!)
You are fabulous. I love all of the things your friend wrote about being a mom. I've found many of them to be the key to being a happy mom! Sometimes I love to watch my kids sleep. The love I have for them swells up so deeply when they're just lying there in their sweet dreams. And it helps me remember that the next day. Along with lots of prayer. Specific, specific prayers, which are always answered because these are Father's children and He WANTS us to be able to raise them. :)
Love you! MIss you guys!