Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Yessir, things are changing around our little household. Here's what's happening:

First of all, Spiff started his intern year doing outpatient internal medicine. It's definitely not his favorite thing to do, but the schedule was glorious. Mon-Fri, 8-5:00, with weekends and holidays off. I knew it wouldn't last, and I told myself I knew what was coming, but I don't think I was emotionally prepared for how difficult his new inpatient medicine schedule would be. He leaves the house at 5:30 in the morning and doesn't get back until 9:00 on most nights. We knew going into this internship that it would be hard. We knew that the interns at his hospital work hard, and I told myself I was prepared for all the single-mothering I would be doing. I think I told myself a big fat lie, and that nothing really could prepare me for having him gone through the boys' breakfast, lunch, dinner and bedtime almost every day of the week. We miss him.

Second, we got our huge Double Bob jogging stroller (thank you for the delivery, Spiff's Mom!), and because of Spiff's awesome schedule, I have been taking my kids running with me. The stroller is great and handles like a dream, but it's still so so so hard pushing an extra 70 pounds of stroller and children while I run. It's a totally different kind of workout, physically and emotionally, but I'm grateful to have the option.

Also, I started running with my neighbor. For two days now, we have packed up our kids and taken them with us. It's nice to have the company, and I'm glad to have a new friend and a great way to get to know her better.

Third, I decided that it's time to start sleep training Hobbes. He's 6 1/2 months old, and up until this point, he slept like a dream. I could just swaddle him up, give him a binkie, put him down, and he'd be out like a light. He still sleeps well at night, but this week, he has been refusing his naps. I remember this point when Gunner was a baby when we realized that what had been working for us (which was rocking him to sleep) wasn't working anymore. It was time to sleep train.

Like most mothers, I have such a hard time sleep training my babies because it's so very difficult to hear them cry. I second guess myself all the time, wondering if he's hungry, cold, wet, poopy, or if there's something else I should have done to prepare him for sleep. This morning, he cried for 40 minutes, and the whole time I said my mantra to myself, "He will eventually go to sleep. He will eventually go to sleep." And I have to remind myself that it's the best thing for him to learn how to comfort himself and go to sleep. It's a valuable skill, and he needs to learn it, even though hearing my sweet, easy-going little baby cry makes me want to scratch holes in my window with my fingernails.

And last, but not least, I'll update you all on Gunner and the pooping. We have both been really frustrated. We stayed home from Sacrament Meeting on Sunday so that he could poop. It took the whole hour for success. He has been asking for diapers and telling me that it's too hard. Thank you for your advice and suggestions. Pulcheria, I have a "magic pooping toy" on my shopping list for the day. I think you're brilliant.

And now I have a triumphant story to tell. Brace yourselves, folks because this is amazing! This morning while I was stuck on the couch nursing Hobbes, I asked Gunner to go to the bathroom to wash his hands. I heard the water go on and off, but Gunner didn't come out of the bathroom. I didn't know what he was up to, and I nervously waited until he finally called out to me, "Mommy, I made some logs! Come here and see!"

Yep, my little boy went poop in the potty All. By. Himself. He decided he had to go, pulled down his pants, positioned his step stool and the toilet seat, and pooped without any assistance at all! I almost cried out of joy and pride. I really hope that this good experience is the turning point for him, and that he'll finally have the confidence to conquer this hurdle for good. Go Gunner Go!!!

9 comments:

Pulcheria said...

Wahoo! Yea, Gunner!! Maybe he just needed to do it on his own time table (wouldn't be the first time in his life =)). Hooray for you too!! Love you both.

Kirsten said...

I know I don't comment often, but I love your updates. Good luck with all of this! I wish I could get Peter even remotely interested in potty training . . .

Miss you.

Maggie said...

Isn't it amazing the sorts of things that bring you joy as a mother? Poop...in the potty. JOY.

Madame Palmkey said...

I want to know more about the magic pooping toy. Would it help me and my dodgy personal plumbing?

Lauren said...

Yes, I'm interested in the magic pooing toy as well. Please explain. And I hear you and totally sympathize on not having Spiff home to help out. Tax season is now my most dreaded time of year. The boys only see their father on Sunday. It is rough. Really rough. If I can help it, I'm not going to have a baby near that time again. Everything was difficult enough to have to deal with sleep deprivation on top of it all. I actually slept out on the couch with Ben for a few weeks so that David could rest. It was when Ben was sick and had to sleep upright in the swing, otherwise I'm pretty sure I would have kicked David out there. Hang in there, it will get better.

Mel said...

YEAH!!! There is nothing mnore exciting than knowing all that work and stress really did pay off! Now he'll be a pro!

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

I LOVE hearing your update! We've definitely hated getting used to that 5-9 schedule. It stinks getting up with kids and putting them to bed again by yourself. I can't imagine how hard it is to sleep train without a hubby cheering you on, so here's my cheering you on from thousands of miles away! GO MINDY!!!!
You're fabulous! So glad you get to go running with the kiddos. I wish they made a jogging stroller for 3 kiddos...I miss walking! although even if I could, I couldn't walk here in St. LOuis, it's an oven.

Carrie said...

Oh, you brave soul! And good for Gunner. He won't have to be traumatized by showing up in Sunbeam class in a diaper, like Alex probably will. (I don't think I'll be ready to attempt it until January!)

Linzi Lou, Samantha Boo, Madi Moo, and Chris too said...

I bet you never thought you would be so excited to hear the words, "I made a log". Yeah for him!