Sunday, January 04, 2009

You're a sick man, charlie brown

So, I guess I really belong in medical school. A good friend of ours recently had hand surgery to remedy a mass that had been there for years. On his facebook page, there were 25 comments expressing sympathy and encouragement. And then there was my comment which was essentially, "what's going on with the lesion? what was it?" Sadly I was more curious to know all about the pathology and the surgical management than how our friend was coping post operatively. I can't help it, can I? I really want to see a cross section of that thing histologically, and see the gross specimen. So, that's how it happens folks; those callous doctors start in medical school. No soft Florence Nightingale here, just someone with clinical curiosity that surpasses his empathy.

School starts tomorrow and I'm really going to miss hanging out with my little boy all day.

No comments: