Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Going public

On my mission, my mission president taught me a few valuable principles regarding goal setting. First, the goal must be quantifiable, i.e. you can measure it numerically somehow, or have some other definitive way of defining accomplishment. So, it would not be a good goal to say to myself "get in shape". What does that mean? Unless I assign some quantifier, then the goal become mutable and therefore useless. Secondly, it is beneficial to go public with your goals so that you become accountable for their accomplishment. So, here goes:

We joined the YMCA several months ago, but until now I haven't used my membership. Here then, are my fitness goals for 2009, and you, the readers will hold me accountable (if you care to) for their accomplishment. If nothing else, I will have to hang my head in shame and tell you why I did not follow through. I am doing this in order to avoid the stereotypical new-year's-resolution-fitness-bandwagon-jumping that peters out by mid february.

Since I can only control my schedule through the end of June, these goals are only to be accomplished or worked on until June 30.

Row 15K in 60 minutes on the erg.
Run 10k in <45 minutes.

To accomplish:
at least 3 days/wk rowing and lifting or running.

We'll see how these pan out. I'll post them on the sidebar to keep them fresh.
-SS.

1 comment:

Madame Palmkey said...

My goals were
1) To be more gracious about both winning and losing board games, as measured by feedback from my primary adversary Fella.

2)I've forgotten the others so they can't have been that meaningful. I would like to finish my thesis on time.