Thursday, January 08, 2009

A Visit to the Doctor

I took Gunner to his two-month check-up yesterday. Apparently going to the doctor's office is a stressful experience for me. I was terrified the first time I took him, and I shook the whole time. I was still shaking this time, and especially nervous because it was time for his first round of shots. He did amazingly well throughout the appointment. He was a happy baby while being stripped down, weighed, and measured. I fed him while waiting for the doctor, and he promptly fell asleep. He slept through the medical student's exam, and when the doctor woke him up during her exam, he just smiled at us. The doctor kept commenting on how amazing it was that he wasn't cranky from being awoken during he exam.

That is another reason that the shots were so awful. He was in such a pleasant mood that when the nurse stuck him, the look of betrayal on his face was heart-breaking! He screamed, and I cried, too. He got three shots in his legs, and with each one, there was a new scream. Poor little guy! It was my first lesson in teaching "That Lesson" to my child. You know the one..."I know this hurts, but it's good for you." I'm hoping it will be easier to teach those lessons to a kid who can reason and make his own decisions. Hurting my completely innocent and dependent baby was very difficult for me to do. But I'm a believer in immunizations, and I know it's necessary.

He only cried for a couple minutes, and he has been mainly pleasant ever since. He has been sleeping a lot today, and I'm grateful for that. For anyone who is curious, here are Gunner's new stats at 2 1/2 months:
Weight: 13 lbs. 14 oz. (birth weight: 7 lbs. 1 oz.)
Length: 24 1/4 in. (birth height: 20 inches)
He was in the 75th percentile in weight, height, and head circumference.
He's growing perfectly! He's getting so big and tall, and I love his chubby little body.

2 comments:

lulu said...

I didn't like the first shots either. Who would? I was one of those moms who gave their child Tylenol before the shots...hoping it would help. Louis will probably have liver failure when he's older. I hope you are doing well.

Pulcheria said...

First shots are horrible...that look of "betrayal" is unforgettable. I still tear up when my girls get shots. Way to be strong and do what you know is right - even when difficult. Give Gunner a hug for me!