Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Piano Teacher's Musings

I visited some of my former piano students and their parents while we were in Oregon over Christmas vacation. My students were so adorable, and so much taller than they were when I left them 18 months ago. One student got all dressed up to perform for me in her nicest dress, necklace and shoes. Some other families had a little recital for me, each of the kids taking turns to play their most recent recital pieces. Some other students I met with played their Christmas songs for me because none of them could remember their most recent recital pieces! They have all improved with their new teachers, and it was a lot fun to hear them play. I realized as I listened to them that I miss being a part of the process. I love that part of teaching...helping them figure out the technical challenges, guiding them through the form, finding the details that make it extra special, and watching as they feel the satisfaction of finishing and performing a challenging piece.

I have a new piano student. She is my neighbor girl and will be taking lessons from me temporarily until she moved to CA in June. She is 13, a transfer student, and a beginner with three months of experience. I taught her first lesson today. It was my first lesson in a year and half, and I can tell that I'm rusty. She is very bright and talented, and I am excited to work with her.

I was so spoiled in Oregon, and I have a feeling that I will always remember my time there as the Glory Years. I had the very best type of students and families to work with: talented, hard-working, smart, fun kids with dedicated parents. I left Oregon with extremely high expectations, and I am afraid that I will never find such good families to work with ever again. I am also afraid that I won't want to teach because any new family just won't be as good as my Glory Years families. I think this new student is a good one. I'm hoping that she will help me get over my irrational fears, and I will find the courage to build a studio again some day.

4 comments:

Madame Palmkey said...

Well Oregon is the promised land. Maybe you should come baaaaaaaack....

anorthowife said...

mindy, you dont give yourself enough credit... i bet that in 10 years you'll look back at thsi time and realize that what was once seen as your "Glory Years" will really be your "Early Years." You've got MORE than enough talent and there are so many more kids out there that desperately need a good teacher. In so many ways, people really need you to be there... dont give up on people too soon!

Lauren said...

I'm sure you will find good parents and students wherever you go! You're a good teacher and great person, so I know things will work out. It is wonderful you can have a job that you are passionate about.

Steph said...

I think you're right. You will never achieve such heights again in this lifetime. It's better not to try! :)