Friday, October 03, 2008

Sentimental Piano Teacher

I have been reminiscing about my former piano studio lately. My friend, Maggie, used to be a children's art teacher, and she originally started her blog to record stories of her students. I really wish I had done that with my piano students. But since I didn't, here are a few little memories of conversations I had with some of my students that explain a bit why I love teaching so much:

#1: Dots
I taught a brilliant little six-year-old boy for a couple years. He picked up on piano very quickly, and he rarely had to work hard at it. He was very inquisitive, and sometimes the conversations we had in lessons would get a bit off-base. For example, in the middle of a lesson one summer day, he looked at my arm and asked,
"What are the dots for?"
Puzzled, I replied, "What dots?"
He pointed and waved his finger at my arm.
I said, "Oh, they're freckles!"
He said, "Yeah, but what are they for?"
I have never contemplated the purpose of a freckle before. I still don't know.

#2: Piano
Same little boy, same type of situation. In the middle of a lesson, he stops and asks,
"What is the piano for?"
Caught off guard by the question, I offer my best explanation, "It's for making music."
He says, "Yeah, but what is it for? Can I sell it?"
I reply, "You'll have to ask your mom."

#3: Lines
I taught another very talented little six-year-old girl. She was a beginner and was quickly progressing through the primer-level piano books, which begin with learning how to read music notes off the staff. She looked ahead in the book one day and got very excited to see that she would soon be learning the staff. She exclaimed to her neighbor (at whose house she took lessons and practiced), "Look, Bonnie, I'm only six, and I get lines!"

I have had a few inquiries about piano lessons recently. I don't know if anything will come of it, but I would love to start teaching again. With comments like these from students, wouldn't you?

4 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm in the same boat as you. Reading this brings tears to my eyes. I miss teaching my old private students and all my band students back in Oklahoma. I had some crazy good times and lots of silly stories. Hmmm......

Thanks for sharing!

Maggie said...

I had some little ones that were so concerned with my freckles. It took me longer than you though to figure out what they were worried about.

lulu said...

Man, that makes me wonder if I said bizzre things to my piano teacher? All I can remember is one who sat with her arm around me on the piano bench. I didn't like that so much. Get your own chair!

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

I love these stories! It makes me miss teaching piano and my school-teaching days. Is there anything as fun as teaching? Anything more humbling? Anything more exhausting? OH, maybe being 39 1/2 weeks pregnant! Good luck this week! He's coming soon!