Saturday, October 11, 2008

Endurance

I am 39 1/2 weeks pregnant. I went to the doctor yesterday, and all the news was good. I am 100% healthy, and so is the baby. My blood pressure was fine, the urine test was normal, the baby's heart rate is fine. I'm just a tiny bit dilated, and even just a tiny bit more than last week. I should be so relieved that everything is okay. But instead, the hormones of the irrational pregnant woman set in, and I broke down crying to the doctor in the middle of the examination room. I also continued to cry off and on for another two hours after leaving the doctor's office.

In a high school English class, we studied a story of a war-time message runner. He was assigned to take a message to the next unit over as quickly as he could. He took off running...and kept on running because he had no idea how far away the next unit was located, or how long it was going to take to get there. I ran my first half marathon this past spring, and it really wasn't all that bad. I trained for it, paced myself, and I really enjoyed it. Mile twelve wasn't even that bad because I knew that the finish line was only a mile away.

I feel a bit like the message runner right now. I have a general idea how long this pregnancy will last, and I know that I won't be "running" forever. But there is no finish line in sight. I am having a difficult time enduring the unknown distance. So I cry when the doctor tells me that everything is fine.

6 comments:

Pulcheria said...

I know how long this time can seem. I have no real advice because I felt the same way with both girls and not much helped me. But I can offer empathy, lots of hugs, and another foot rub. What day works for you this week?

Matt and Christy said...

I am so sorry, Mindy! I know how frustrated you must be. But, before you know it, you will have a little baby to hold, and it will seem like months ago that you were pregnant. Keep holding on! Oh- will you e-mail me your address. We got a little gift for the new baby.

Madame Palmkey said...

My life is more interesting? Please! Everyone is just WAITING for you to call them! I daresay your top moment of the week will trump any of mine.
1)I replenished the earth.

Looking forward to it!

lulu said...

I'll pray for you.

Heath said...

Stay strong Mindy. You're a trouper. Not a state trouper, but some kind of trouper none-the-less. You know, this whole thing reminds me of Emeralds, and pepper stick. Mmmmm... yummy!

Kirsten said...

Just thinking of you . . .