Monday, April 01, 2013

Happy Easter Fool's Day

Spiff was on Weekend Call the past few days.  For the uninitiated (most of us), that means that he was on call overnight on Friday, then again for 24 hours on Sunday, from 7 a.m. Sun. to 7 a.m. on Monday.  That meant that the boys and I celebrated Easter alone.  We had a great little time together, opening Easter baskets, hunting for eggs, dying eggs, eating candy by the bucketful (it seems, anyway), and playing with New Toys!  We also read the Easter story in the scriptures and enjoyed church together.

It was weird when Spiff got home this morning and asked, "How was your Easter?"  So strange not to even see him on a holiday.  Such a weird life we lead.

Anyway, since he wasn't going to around on Easter, we decided to have a special dinner on Saturday night.  Since I happened to have a turkey in my freezer, I made a turkey dinner, complete with stuffing (which didn't turn out...total bummer for me) and pie.  I spent all day in the kitchen, and it was a fun evening with friends, and the food was delicious.  And I was cured of any and all desire to be in the kitchen for long stretches of time for a good six months.  I cannot believe the amount of work that one meal is!  It is definitely a multiple-person job.  Yikes.

Here's a side note:  I realize that it's sort of tradition for people to make a ham on Easter.  But I was also under the impression that it is sort of an open food holiday.  Am I wrong about that?  My family never had a strict meal plan for Easter.  Sometimes it was ham, sometimes chicken, etc.  My dinner confused people.  Every time someone asked about my Easter dinner plans, and I would tell her that I was making a turkey, and every single person gave me a look that said, "You are crazy!  Where is your ham?!"  I don't get that.

So Easter was great, even though it was cold, and there is still snow on the ground, and it was Spiff-less.

Then today is April 1, and to continue our weekend-long holiday fest, this afternoon, Spiff decided to teach Gunner in the ways of Poisson D'Avril (remember this?).  They were very sneaky and stuck a fish to my back as I was doing the laundry.  The little prank sent Gunner into fits and giggles of delight!  He then had to sneak around and stick fish to Spiff's back as he played the piano.  We discovered that Gunner is the world's worst sneaker because he giggles the entire time.  Hilarious!

Their little joke, this one and this one got me into spirit of April Fool's Day, and I got sneaky myself.  I used some leftover pie dough, raided the kids' Easter candy, and cooked up a little something special for Spiff for dinner.  Take a look at this little baby!

Backstory:  Every time I ask Spiff if there is anything he would like to be on our weekly menu, without fail (I'm not kidding.  It is every single time.) he responds, "Jelly Bean Pie."
Here is his very own Jelly Bean Pie!  I'm a genius!
And the kids were totally jealous.
I have officially "won dinner" for the next century.

And then, since I'm so funny, I used some leftover mashed potatoes from Saturday's dinner and served the kids some "dessert."  It looks pretty good, huh?!
They were not amused.  
Well, not until we pulled out the real ice cream from the freezer.  I'm so funny.

Thank you, Turkey Dinner.  I couldn't have done it without you.

***

The icing on the cake today when I was reading scriptures to the kids at bedtime.  
Gunner asked, "Can we read the one about the Joking Day?"

Because when there's a holiday, there must be a scripture story to match.

3 comments:

kalie said...

Jelly Bean Pie!! Amazing. I didn't even think to do tricks today! You are awesome. :)

cfg said...

Well, we had turkey too. Unfortunately, only the white meat part was cooked enough, so the rest became soup and stuff on Monday. In addition to turkey, we had a fantastic potato dish with cheese, (ask Em) and our favorite green salad with feta and candied walnuts and pears, and a fruit salad, and rolls, and jello with peeps, and garlicky sauteed green beans and snow peas, and cranberry sauce with chilis. For dessert we had carrot cake muffins and carrot shaped sugar cookies. There were 9 of us.

Maggie said...

On actual Easter my family ate turkey leftover casserole out of things I found in my cupboard. Nobody was pleased but me.