Saturday, April 13, 2013

Conversations with My Boys

A friend recently and very generously shared a candy-filled Easter egg with Hobbes.  Hobbes experienced a 2-year-old love affair with nerds-covered jelly beans, and ever since then has expressed feelings of a strong kinship with this friend.  The other day, I found him putting his coat and boots on and getting ready to walk out the front door.

Me: Where are you going, Hobbes?
Hobbes: Uh, going Greggie's house.  More Easser egg.  More candy.

Sorry, Greg.  He may only love you for your candy.

---

As we were leaving a birthday party, with several witnesses milling about:

Brother M: (Teasingly) Gunner, are you riding your camel home?
Gunner: (Without missing a beat) No, it's at home with my dad.
Brother M: Well, don't forget to take your gold, frankincense and myrrh.
Gunner: (Confusion setting in) Uh, What the heck?!

---

This week, I witnessed Hobbes bravely (and seemingly absentmindedly) walk away from me at the library.  I watched him go, wondering when he would feel uncomfortable that I wasn't around.  I became uncomfortable long before he did.  I ran after him and caught up as he was walking out the front door.

Me: Where do you think you're going?
Gunner: Home.  I done.

Hmmm...It would have been a long walk.

No comments: