Thursday, March 07, 2013

Unpleasant Realities

I recently took both of my kids in for well-child check-ups.  They are both the greatest examples of health, a fact that I am extremely grateful for.  I wrote about Hobbes's check-up, if you remember. (Can you forget?)  It was long and logistically unpleasant, but apparently it made a large impact on Gunner's little mind.  Hobbes got so much attention during that appointment!  And shots!  Those were exciting!  So, when I told him we were going in for his appointment, he was thrilled.  We had an afternoon appointment, and he could hardly stand to wait all day.  He was especially excited about the prospect of getting shots of his own.  I made sure to remind him of when he got shots as a baby, and he was so brave that he didn't even cry.

He was an angel at his appointment.  He was excited to sit on the exam table.  He happily cooperated with the nurses and doctors, and he eagerly answered all of their questions.  When it came time for his shots, he did just what the nurse suggested.  She instructed me to hold his arms firmly.  He told her that he didn't need me to because he is so brave.  Of course, I did anyway.

And when she put the first (of five) needles in his leg, he said, "OW!!!"

Completely betrayed.

"Ow ow ow ow ow!!!"

He cried so hard that he burst blood vessels in his face.

But he didn't struggle.  He still cooperated.  I am so proud of him.

We had a long talk on the way home about why he had to have shots, what vaccinations are, and why they are so important.  It is a hard concept for a 4-year-old that one small shot is way better than getting very sick.  And it is hard on me as a mom to remember that it is so important when my child is feeling so sore and betrayed, and surprisingly harder for me as Gunner has gotten older and understands what's happening to him.

But it is.  And I am grateful for vaccines.

I think the funniest part of the experience was when we got home.  Gunner was a wreck.  "Mom, my legs hurt.  I need you to carry me into the house."  "Mom, I need you to carry me down the stairs."  "Mom, when I lift my leg like this, it hurts."  "Mom, I need you to carry me into my bed because my legs hurt and I can't walk."  "Mom, when it hurts when I touch my leg right here."

And the pièce de la résistance:
"Mom, I thought the shots would be fun.  But they were Not!"

Poor guy.  Good thing he heals quickly.  And he was completely fine the next day.

1 comment:

Madame Palmkey said...

That makes me so sad! I just hate thinking of him hurting, and it makes it all the worse that he was looking forward to it. I'm actually crying. What is wrong with me? I wish he had some of my magic candy land bandaids to cheer him up.