Sunday, March 10, 2013

Get a Little Food Inspired

A friend suggested that I post my favorite meal of the week occasionally.  Don't mind if I do, folks!  I have an intense food obsession these days.  I read food blogs in my free time like nobody's business.  I am constantly pouring over new and better dinner ideas and planning planning planning my menus.  It's a funny obsession, since I adore food, and my children would rather not eat any of it.  The mainstay of Hobbes's diet these days is trail mix and grapefruit.  Gunner would prefer crepes and quesadillas every day.  They both hate almost everything else.

So I try to make delicious food with the hopes that Spiff and I will enjoy it, that it will help us be healthy (most of the time), and it will save us money that we don't have to spend at a restaurant.  I believe that good food is one of the greatest gifts from God, and that it is meant to be enjoyed.  And while I don't always enjoy preparing and cleaning up every meal, I really do take pleasure out of creating delicious food.  I love eating well at home.

Soooo, on to the good stuff!  I don't have any pictures of my own, but here are a few of my favorite meals we have enjoyed in the last few weeks.  Make them and love them.  We sure did!

Chicken Noodles--My FAV!!!
I always double the chicken, marinade and sauce.  And I threw in some sugar snap peas with the veggies.  It's so good, I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Caribbean-Style Pork paired w/ Sweet and Savory Coconut Rice.
Top with green onions and chopped cashews/peanuts.  Such a fantastic combination!
(A note about the pork--It may need to be cooked with the green onions in the crock pot, but they got wilty and gross-looking, so I picked them out, and then served it with fresh cut green onions.  Problem solved.)

We tried going to Chipotle for lunch a couple weeks ago, but decided against it when we got there and discovered a line going out the door.  We settled on making our own burritos and burrito bowls at home with this Crock Pot Pork Carnitas, Cilantro Lime Rice, Black Beans and guacamole.  I loved the pork.  It packed some serious flavor. 

I hope you're even a little inspired now.  Just looking at the beautiful photos of the food from these blogs is enough to get me excited.

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta go make something delicious.

3 comments:

Linzi Lou, Samantha Boo, Madi Moo, and Chris too said...

I am also obsessed with food but have yet to catch the cooking dinner inspiration bug. I think it has something to do with Samantha turning into a crazy naughty person at dinner prep time!

cfg said...

I made the coconut rice yesterday for book group. It was/is delicious. Fortunately, another person brought crudites, so I put them on top like a yumm bowl. Thanks for the link

Mindy said...

C, that makes me so happy! I'm glad you tried and enjoyed it. We love that rice around here.