Sunday, November 04, 2012

Spiff's Grammy

We went on an impromptu trip to St. Louis last weekend.  Spiff's Grammy has been sick, and had moved into a hospice care facility a week prior.  His family (Mom and sissy) flew in to see/care for her.  So we went, too, braving the long 8-hour one-way drive to be there for just a day.  It was so worth it.  It was so good to see Grammy and to have everyone together.  We saw her at her best.  She seemed like herself...snarky, witty, sharp, and energetic enough to handle having our kids around.  We visited for a while and shot a few family photos.  I left feeling happy to have spent time with her, and feeling like she was still going to be with us for a while.

Well, she passed away early this morning.  One week after we saw her.  I can hardly believe that she went downhill so quickly.  But I am grateful that her daughter was there with her.  I'm grateful that we were able to visit her.  I'm grateful that we were able to spend four years living in the same town, and that I got to know her.  And I'm grateful that we were able to have an impromptu reunion with Spiff's fam and spend some time with them, and with some good friends in St. Louis.

Here's Grammy.  Isn't she cute?
I took this picture about 18 months ago.  She was all dolled-up and ready to go to a social at her retirement community.  I think she looks so pretty.

Current memorial plans include a cremation and then a full military funeral service sometime within this next year.  I think that is a perfect way to celebrate her life.

1 comment:

Pulcheria said...

We are so glad you made it last weekend. Love to all of you.