Monday, May 25, 2009

Why Didn't I Think Of This Sooner?

We have a musical mobile hanging on Gunner's crib.  It's cute, jungle-themed, and it has little animals that rotate with the music.  I received this excellent item from a friend while I was pregnant.  I remember thinking how cool it would be to be able to lullaby the baby to sleep with Classical music playing right from the baby's crib.  In fact, I was quite taken by the picture on the box that had two parents lovingly gazing at their sleeping baby from the door of the nursery.  Gunner loves the animals, and he likes to play with the music box.  Occasionally, he has successfully pushed the buttons that turn the music on.  It hasn't really ever worked to lull him to sleep.

This music maker is battery operated.  And just like most battery operated toys, the music gets slower and more artificial sounding as the batteries run down.  I don't like buying batteries.  I feel like it is a huge waste of money, and so the batteries in the music box haven't been replaced in a while.  Spiff often asks me if we should turn on Gunner's "Bongy Music" if he's having a difficult time settling down for sleep.

The other day, while the baby was crying in his bed, furious at me for having laid him down for a nap, I thought about turning on his "Bongy Music".  But as his cries got more and more hysterical, I decided to try to overpower his loudness with my own.  I started playing the piano.  And as I played a Bach prelude, the strangest thing happened.  He fell asleep!  Today, it happened again, this time settling down to my favorite Poulenc Improvisation.

I am baffled as to why I didn't try this before!  If the manufacturer of the music box mobile realized that babies might fall asleep to fake Classical music, why wouldn't he fall asleep to the real thing?

The fact is, I have been afraid that it would be too loud for him.  The piano is situated directly opposite Gunner's bedroom, with only a hallway separating them.  Maybe the music is overpoweringly loud, and it's lulling him into submission.  Whatever the case, it has worked twice now, and I'm completely surprised!  Don't get me wrong.  He still only naps for about 30 minutes at a time.  But at least I have a sufficiently loud lullaby to get him to sleep in the first place.

4 comments:

Behrmans said...

That is awesome! I bet he use to hear it from inside you while you played. Pretty cool.

Kirsten said...

This post made me happy.

Madame Palmkey said...

If nothing else it should calm your spirits enough to deal with wailing tot. Kids can sleep through what they get used to I think -- mom always practiced after we were in bed and I got used to hearing it drift down the hall.

Matt and Christy said...

I used to play the piano or the harp for Elijah to sleep (in fact, I played the piano last night). We also have a CD player in his room and we have piano music and primary music in there. He LOVES listening to music while he sleeps, and it creates white noise so I can do chores after he goes to bed at night. We miss you guys!