Thursday, July 24, 2008

End of the Summer

I seem to be a glutton for punishment. I used to row in college, mainly because it was difficult and only rarely exhilarating. I voluntarily enrolled in medical school, which means I study 40-60 hours a week. For my summer 'vacation' for the last 10 weeks, I have been working in a research lab rather than riding my bike at home in Oregon with my friends all summer. This week has been especially brutal. I have a presentation tomorrow at a little cardiovascular conference that Dr F. has thrown together. I really hope that nobody knowledgeable will be there, that way they can't ask questions. I have a few preliminary results from my work this summer, which is great, but I'm not sure what they mean, hence my apprehension about explaining them to smart people. There is still a lot of work to do left on this project. I have hardly touched the liver samples, and there is no time left for me to analyze them. I don't really know what will happen when I stop on the 30th, whether I'm expected to come in during the school year and finish up, or if one of the lab folks will just tie up my loose ends when I'm done, who knows. Right now I just need a break so I can get ready for the hell of neuro that begins in August.
-Spiff.

No comments: