Saturday, May 10, 2008

Spring Morning in the Park

It is a beautiful Spring morning.  It's also a Saturday and the first day since we moved from Oregon that George has gone out on a bike ride with cycling buddies.  I also had a first today; I ventured out on a run by myself for the first time since we moved here.  As per my husband's safety request, I waited to go out until late morning so it would be light out and there would be more people around.  And here's what I saw at 9:00 am:  I saw a 5K Fun Run with about 1000 runners (including young, spunky and healthy school children) and other people volunteering and organizing.  I saw some sort of street fair with tents and booths.  I saw a group of people doing Tai Chi.  I saw another group of people bird watching, with binoculars in hand.  I saw people setting up for picnics in the pavilions.  I saw the Palm House setting up for what looked like a wedding.  I saw parents taking their kids to the park playgrounds.  I also saw countless people out walking dogs and other people jogging...just like me.

Now, this is not a normal day in the park.  I have been out running with George and other partners many times, usually earlier in the morning.  We are usually one group out of perhaps five that we see out jogging or walking dogs.  I know I won't usually have this type of people-watching experience while I run.  But really, what a great day to enjoy some exercise, some fresh air, and a little of what this city has to offer.

I guess I have had another first today.  It's the first time I have felt inspired to contribute to our little family's blog.  My Spring morning in the park was really that enjoyable.

No comments: