Tuesday, January 07, 2014

End of 2013 Recap

It's that time again.  The time when I try again to keep up on the ol' blog.  I seem to let it slide at the end of each year while I'm desperately trying to get through the holidays.  So, I'll recap the last couple of months.  Then I'm going to bombard the blog with posts until I have exhausted my efforts.

In October, my oldest sister got married and told us she is having her first baby.  They got married quickly and quietly, and I didn't make it out for the wedding.

The boys and I did, however, go visit my family for a couple of weeks in November in order to celebrate my mom's 60th birthday with her, a party that was planned much further in advance to the wedding.  The family surprised her with a surprise party at her house.  Surprise!  Everyone in your family is now staying with you for the weekend!  Doesn't that sound like the best present?!  We planned out all of the food, and she did say that she was glad not to have to worry about what to feed everyone.

Our friends came to visit us for Thanksgiving.  We had Thanksgiving dinner at my house, surrounded by the best of friends and delicious food.

December hit with a quick realization that there were only three weeks until Christmas!!!  This year's Christmas preparations were greatly improved over last year's stress by the help of Amazon Prime Shipping.  It was such a life-saver.  I hope my gift recipients didn't mind it because it really was awesome for me.

Spiff and I celebrated our 9th wedding anniversary both by being super duper sick.  I had some stomach issue, and he had a nasty cold.  We postponed the fancy family dinner I planned to make for him for a couple of days.  Then I tried my hand at preparing filet mignon, and it was delicious.

We spent Christmas alone this year, just our little family, which was both good and bad for me.  I prefer a larger celebration, or at least sharing it with other people.  But on the other hand, it certainly was casual, and we really could do whatever we wanted, which is nice.

We were invited to a friend's house for a Finnish New Year's Eve potluck dinner.  I made this Finnish Pulla Bread, which was delicious.  You should make it, too.  It would make a great breakfast sweet bread.

Now it's January, and we are enjoying the coldest weather to hit the country since 1996.  But so are you!  Let's all bundle up and stay warm together somehow.

No comments: