Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Determination

Late in the afternoon the other day, Spiff declared that he needed to take Gunner out for some Daddy/Gunner time.  They decided to go on a bike ride together around our mile & a half long trail that loops our neighborhood, a loop that's a little long for Hobbes to do with them. 

As they got ready and headed out the door on their bikes, Hobbes was so sad to be left behind.  So, I took him on a Mommy/Hobbes ride, just to appease him and avoid a Big Cry.  He got ready as fast as he could, and we followed the boys out the door, Hobbes on his little Strider.

He could see them up ahead of us, and he wanted to follow.  I let him lead the way.  We went down our sidewalk and across the street, just like Daddy & Gunner.  We went up the big hill, with our eyes on them until they hit the downhill.  Hobbes followed, climbing the hill and carefully coasting the downhill until we got to the edge of our neighborhood.  I asked him if he wanted to turn around and go home or keep going.

He looked out on the bike trail, looking for Gunner and Daddy, and said, "I want to keep going." 

So we did.  We rode the little trail, and he did such a great job.  He listened to me, slowed down when I asked, watched for traffic, and rode carefully.  And fast.  I had to run to keep up with him.

We got about 2/3 of the way and rounded a big corner.  He was so proud to get there.  But when he got around the corner, looked ahead of him, and did not see Gunner and Daddy, his face fell.  It was like watching a mud slide.  He had honestly thought that he would catch up to them, and he was so very disappointed when he realized that he couldn't, even with his greatest effort.

I got down and told him how proud I was of him, and that he was doing a great job.  And we could tell them how hard he worked when we made it home.

It perked him up okay, and we made it home, where we told Dad & Gunner all about his big accomplishment.  I have never seen such an honest display of pure determination. 

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Your kids amaze me with their physical abilities!

Also good use of capital letters.