Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk

Another point from our fabulous RS meeting the other night:  When the milk has already been spilled, there's no reason to get mad.  This was related to the subject I already talked about in the previous post, when the decision has already been made, the milk has been spilled.  No reason to get mad.  Etc.

This made me think of my grandmother who had eleven children.  Eleven!  Can you even imagine?  The thought of feeding eleven children breakfast, lunch and dinner is enough to make me dizzy.  It is incredibly difficult for me to get my two children to sit down and concentrate long enough to eat something, much less accept the food that I give them.  There is always food/liquid spilled on the table and floor.  I can't imagine what it would be like with eleven children eating and spilling food on a daily basis.  I bet she was constantly cleaning up spills.  What a saint.

Anywho, there is a famous story in my family about the time when my dad's family sat down to eat dinner.  They said the prayer, and then the shocked family watched as Grandma reached out and knocked over her glass of milk!  As they stared, she replied, "Now that we have gotten that over with, let's eat."

Wasn't she awesome?!

I think of that story every time my kids spill their cups.  It is frustrating at times, but I remember the lesson my Grandma taught that spilled milk isn't something worth getting mad about.  It's another good lesson to look for all of the other little things that happen every day that are "spilled milk" issues, within all of my relationships.  One more step towards being an accepting and approving person.

1 comment:

cfg said...

This is the very example I thought of. In fact, I wrote a comment which somehow didn't get out of my computer. There is precedent in the G. family for making unnecessary remarks after an accident of the spilt milk variety. I always thought it reflected poorly on the speaker who couldn't see the big picture.