Thursday, July 12, 2012

Stepping Way Out of My Comfort Zone

I don't know if you all realize this about me, but I'm a back-row sitter.  And I don't give comments.  I may think comments, but I don't say them.  If I ever get up the courage to say something in a class, my face turns red (Thank you, over-active blushing mechanism), then people notice that I'm blushing, so then my neck turns red, too!  It's a domino effect of shame for me.

So I sit in the back row, quietly paying attention (or trying to, let's be honest here), and not ever saying anything at all.

We have been in our new ward for three weeks.  When we moved last year, Spiff and I were asked to talk in Sacrament Meeting on Father's Day, which was two weeks after we moved.  This time, I have been asked to substitute as a Relief Society teacher on Sunday.  Both of these things involve me talking in front of people (cue red blush-face), and talking to people I don't know who will be veeeeery interested in what the new girl has to say (cue red blush-neck).

I used to teach relief society, eight years ago before I married Spiff, in our single's ward.  Back then, I thought it was the perfect calling.  I only had to prepare something once a month.  I got to lead a conversation with my female peers in similar situations on interesting gospel subjects.  I loved it.  Then I got married and started attending family wards where all of the members of the RS came with different stories and perspectives on life.  I realized that it is a place where offense can be taken so very easily by members of the class, from something the teacher said.  Perhaps she wasn't being sensitive enough to everyone's situations.  Perhaps she was naive in her own experiences and made a gross generalization.  Perhaps she was just stating what the Prophet said in the manual.  No matter what, offense was to be taken.

I decided after this that I never wanted to teach RS ever again.

I then got called to work in the primary, where I have been for four years.  I have forgotten how to interact with relief society sisters!  I think it's easier to be with kids.

And here I am, in my brand new ward, teaching this week's lesson, which happens to be on Missionary Work (Lesson 14, George Albert Smith).  This happens to be my most uncomfortable topic to talk about.  I am the worst about sharing the gospel and actually feel completely uncomfortable with it.

Goodness, I'm really at a loss here, folks.  Anyone have any brilliant ideas for me?  Any an all helpful comments and suggestions are welcome here!  Thanks in advance.

7 comments:

Lauren said...

I like the lesson outlines and suggestions on The Exponent's website. And I remember your excellent lessons back in our single days, so I know you will do fantastic. And I'm a horrid blusher too, so I feel your pain. I think you could also do a google search on the lesson to see other peoples thoughts and ideas.

Madame Palmkey said...

Ha! Lauren you and I think the same way. Here is the link.

http://www.the-exponent.com/rs-lesson-15-advancing-the-work-of-the-lord/


I think a good move would be to disarm the potential offendees by throwing out your humble card early. Explain that you're new, you don't know everyone's situation, and you're young and know that others have insight you don't. Ask them to openly chip in if they feel inspired. Get them on your side from the get-go, they're helping you teach the lesson isntead of waiting for you to spoon feed.

In terms of the parts of the lesson that might be about full time missions, give the sisters some air time. You probably have some return missionaries or some senior missionaries in the crowd who probably don't get many opportunities to share experiences. That way instead of it being about how you didn't serve a full time mission, it is about how everyone potentially coudl some day, and it is easier than ever with senior missionary stuff.

Try bringing treats. That always goes over well.

You could also do the divide and conquor -- split them into themed groups with quotes and discussion and let them do their own thing, then reconvene for the last 10 minutes. This minimizes your in-front-of-the-group-blushing time.

EWE WHILE BEE GRATE!

Pulcheria said...

Okay,so my first thought isn't a teaching suggestion, but I'm typing it anyway. The lesson (we are on the same one Sunday)is about teaching the Gospel through loving others. There are few people I know who love others as selflessly and genuinely as you do - I know, I've felt it! Maybe missionary work is intimidating, but loving others is something you can share! And as for teaching - come up with some good, strong questions and let them go with it. Then you have less to say!

Kirsten said...

I was going to say the same thing as above about focusing on the loving others part. We had this lesson last week and she did a great job of talking about not pushing the gospel on people, as the mormon stereotype suggests, but on expanding our friendship circle, going outside our comfort zones and genuinely loving those around us. And then just to be prepared when people do ask us questions. She also opened it up for people to share their friend based missionary experiences.

For the record, I hated teaching relief society. And when I used the outlines from the Exponent (which are amazing) it didn't feel like me teaching. And my sweet ward could tell that I was nervous and uncomfortable. I did much better when I studied the topic myself instead. And asked lots of question where people could share experiences.

Good luck! You're amazing!

Katie said...

Break the lesson into sections, have the ladies get into groups and teach each other.

That way you don't have to do much of anything and everyone feels like they had a chance to teach and learn from each other.


That's my favorite kind of lesson because talking is encouraged and people learn from each other.

As the teacher you aren't there to impart new, groundbreaking widsom but to encourage the students to learn from each other.

Mindy said...

Thank you, my friends!

kalie said...

Hi hi! Was reading in 1 Peter tonight and stumbled on this verse. Fell in love, and then thought of your lesson.

15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: (New Testament, 1 Peter, Chapter 3)