Thursday, July 07, 2011

All The Water

We arrived at the beginning of June and were surprised to find the mountains still covered in snow. We had been told that it was a super snowy winter, but it was pretty amazing to see it for ourselves. Before Spiff started working, we drove up one of the canyons to do a hike with our kids which had been advertised online as "the most child-friendly hike in the area," around a little lake complete with boardwalk. When we got there, we found the trail completely covered in three feet of snow. Crazy!

I thought the trip up the canyon was still worthwhile, though, because of all the water. The creek that runs down the canyon is an all-out river. Check out these rapids!

Impressive, no? You wouldn't want to go swimming in that. I wish we had gotten a picture of some of the random waterfalls caused by the run-off. So beautiful!

Also, the boys and I also just returned from a camping trip new Yellowstone Park. I have never seen the area so green and so much water in the reservoirs and so many wildflowers. It looked like a different area of the country than the drought-condition campsites I grew up with. Truly so very very beautiful!

2 comments:

Madame Palmkey said...

I heard someone got mauled by a bear in Yellowstone, and it has turned me off of national parks entirely.

Mindy said...

Yeah, I just heard that, too. All the campsites in the area have started requiring campers to keep all food items and smelly things (like toothpaste and deodorant) in a car of trailer to keep the bears away. It seems extreme, but it's better than waking up to a bear in your tent. Creepy. I feel so bad for that poor woman who was hiking with her husband.