Saturday, June 18, 2011

Take a Deep Breath

Okay, so Spiff Graduated. We moved. We can breathe a sigh of relief now that medical school is over. We made it through that huge hurdle! Go us! We also made it through the move, and we're mostly settled into our new little house.

And now we can take another deep breath as we go into this week and the year that follows. Spiff started his intern year today. We have to steel ourselves for a very difficult year, followed by another move, followed by residency.

Okay. Breathe. We can do this.

A few thoughts:
I miss familiarity. I miss knowing where things are, down to the items in the grocery store.
I miss my friends. Boy, do I ever miss my friends.
I miss my running partners. I'm running alone now.
I miss my oh-so-familiar running route.

I don't miss the humidity. Dry heat rocks! I love love love this climate!
I don't miss my ancient windows. I have been sleeping with an open window, just because I can.
I don't miss pushing a make-shift bathtub around our house (our apartment only had a shower stall). Having a bathtub in our house has never felt so novel.

I'm grateful to be in a place where I know people. I love having my sisters and nieces right down the road from me. I love spending time with my favorite cousin. I love it that some of our good medical school friends live a mile away from us. I am lucky to have such a good community of people during this transition year. It would be so lonely without them. I need to remind myself to take advantage of it and make the most of it every day of this year.

So, I'm going to take a deep breath, say a whole lot of prayers, and gear myself and my family up for a lot of hard work.

Wish me luck.

9 comments:

Justin and JoLyn said...

Congrats on being done with medical school! We've moved way too many times, and yes, it is so hard! But you are such a fantastic person--you'll have oodles of friends and running parters in no time! Take care!

Lauren said...

Good luck wishes being sent your way!

Madame Palmkey said...

And you're one long day's drive from your FAVORITE SISTER-IN-LAW and café Yumm!!! YAH!!! I can't wait to drive out to visit you and by then you WILL know your way around and can introduce us to exotic Utah!

Pulcheria said...

Lots of luck and lots of love. But I also know you can do this - all of you can - and the journey will be amazing!

Nurse Graham said...

I'm sure it seems hard now, but pretty soon you will be so busy that you won't notice how quickly the year will fly by. But it will still be hard. Enjoy learning new running routes & meeting new running buddies.

Katie said...

Good luck!


I never said thank you for being such a good friend for my little sister. You have no idea how good it felt to know that she had you to count on while she was so far from family.

sarah said...

You can do it!!!!

KevandChels said...

You guys are awesome! We did the one year stint in a different place too...and it ended up being great. I know it's so hard to leave good friends though. Your year had a pretty amazing thing going too! I didn't even run with you guys the whole time and I miss that like crazy too! Actually, where do you live out there? I have a good friend and running comrade who just moved to Millcreek for the year. I'll totally hook you up if you want:) That's great you have family and friends close. We'll give you a call if we're ever out that way! XOXO.

Linzi Lou, Samantha Boo, Madi Moo, and Chris too said...

I am with you on the dry heat- it is way better. I am also with you on not knowing where to run. My route so far is my subdivision because Tucson doesn't believe in sidewalks. Let's just say samantha is getting used to being pushed in bumpy gravel terrain and my white shoes are now dusty brown.
Glad to see you are settled in.