Sunday, September 13, 2009

Onwards to strokes

Today was my last day of pediatric neurology. We only had two patients on our census, so rounds went quickly. On psych/neuro we have afternoon lectures during the weekdays which, while necessary didactically, really detract from the patient care portion of neurology. I would rather be working up a patient and learning about their disease first hand than hearing a lecture about it and trying to remember a presentation rather than a patient. A more efficient system would be to have a noon lecture series like we had in pediatrics, that way we still get the lectures, but we aren't tied up for 90 minutes in the afternoon.

My next assignment is the stroke team at the adult hospital. I've been at the pediatric hospital for 10 weeks now, it'll be strange working with adults. Also, I won't know where anything is or how things are done, so I will yet again enjoy the clueless newbie feeling. I'm sure that just as I'm getting comfortable with finding my way around the neuro-ICU I'll be on my next assignment in psychiatry.

This year is going very quickly. I still haven't found something to fill the three week hole in my spring schedule that was left when I deferred Family Medicine in favor of anesthesiology. I'm considering a critical care elective, but I'm not sure if it's better to do before I do anesthesia or not.

1 comment:

Nurse Graham said...

Again, may I say, "Make friends with the nurses. They will show you the way." Honestly. You've probably discovered this by now, but I just wanted to make sure you knew that if you didn't come in all "nose in the air", the nurses really will help you out. At least that has been my experience.