Sunday, September 06, 2009

Neuro/psych

I am now one week into my neurology/psychiatry rotation, having just completed a week of pediatric neurology. Last year our first block was neurosciences, and I detested it. It was a well taught and well organized unit, I can't fault the administration of the class. I just really didn't like neuroanatomy. I currently am not enamored of the clinical side of neurology either. Maybe it's because I hated neuroanatomy so much that I can't remember the basics very well so I struggle to diagnose people on the clinical side. I think it's the patients with intractable illnesses like cerebral palsy and refractory seizure disorders which by definition are untreatable that get to me. I don't think "success" is putting a kid on 5 different seizure meds so that he's so gorked out of his mind he can't seize, but he can't do anything else either. I don't like how the only tools at our disposal are physical exam, EEG, and MRI. If those don't turn anything up, you're out of luck as to the etiology of some child's seizures. As the old saw from The House of God says "they can always hurt you more, but they can't stop the clock." So, in that very unenthusiastic spirit, I have 7 weeks left.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Sorry that you aren't liking neuro very much. When people have neuro issues and you can't do much that's tough. But you can endure anything for two weeks right?