Thursday, August 20, 2009

Chores

Yesterday, I started a project that I have been procrastinating. I began putting together our revised budget for this school year. Since it is seven weeks into the school year, that says something about how much I've been looking forward to this project. The more I put it off, the larger of a project it became, and the more I didn't want to do it. But now that I'm in the middle of it, I have embraced it, and I'm up for the week-long challenge of organizing and catching up on our finances. Like most chores for me, once I get the motivation to start them, I'm okay with the work involved.

There are some chores that are more enjoyable for me than others. I like cooking. I don't mind doing the dishes, as long as I don't let them get out of hand. I don't mind doing laundry, as long as I keep up on it. I don't mind grocery shopping, besides the fact that I always spend way more money than I want to. I don't think anyone likes cleaning the bathroom (myself included), but I don't mind it too much because I like having a clean bathroom.

However, I do have a few chores that I just don't like. Apparently I'm pretty vocal about them because when I asked Spiff to guess my least favorite chores, he listed them off to perfection without hesitation. I really don't like dealing with our cars in any way. I don't like gassing them up, washing them, getting the oil changed, and especially dealing with mechanical issues. I also don't like doing the budget/checkbook, or cleaning the floors.

Of course, I do them anyway. They're chores, and there are always things I would rather be doing. But it's life, and they have to be done. And I'm curious about other people's favorite or least-favorite chores. I bring this up because I was surprised to discover recently that one of Spiff's least favorite chores is emptying out the clean dishwasher. That's not a chore that I mind at all. I guess now that I know that, I'll try to be sensitive to his dislike of this chore and empty out the dishwasher more often. Maybe he'll take care of the cars for me.

7 comments:

Nurse Graham said...

Our chore likes/dislikes are complete opposites. I don't like doing laundry (well actually I don't like folding laundry), but I dislike going to the grocery store even more. I've even been known to say to my family "Would you just quit eating so I don't have to go shopping."

Wish we lived closer, we could totally trade chore lists and each of us would be happy AND maybe even have more time for running. :)

Maggie said...

Like-
mopping (it sort of makes me feel like superman)
folding laundry (especially fitted sheets. It makes me feel like I accomplished the impossible)

Dislike-
ANYTHING to do with our cars from gas to mechanical to insurance
grocery shopping

Madame Palmkey said...

I actually like cleaning the bathroom. I feel like I really accomplished something and it doesn't take much to make it look a lot better -- even wiping down the mirror makes a huge difference. I hate folding laundry unless I put on a movie while I do it, but then it takes forever to get it done. I hate lawn chores -- weeding, mowing, watering etc. I don't mind cooking or making the bed, though it feels like a real treat if Chris does it instead. I rarely drive the car so I feel like maintenance is mostly Chris' job since he is the primary beneficiary. I'll wash it and gas it up but maintenance? NO WAY! Plus I always get cheated as an ignorant woman anyway.

Behrmans said...

I’m not sure if I truly like doing any of them I just really really like the outcome in having them done. But if anything I enjoy sweeping. I love sweeping the garage out. I know weird!

lulu said...

dislike-
putting away laundry
grocery shopping

like-
changing diapers -I get to sit down!
putting the kids to bed

Pulcheria said...

Wow-my least favorite chore is emptying out the clean dishwasher too! I'd rather clean the bathroom - pretty sad huh? I thought I was unique, but now I don't feel so odd. As for my list:
Like:
vacuuming
making beds
cooking dinner with my hubby

Dislike:
unloading the dishwasher
folding laundry

Lauren said...

Like (as much as one can like chores) - making the bed, vacuuming, grocery shopping.
Dislike - dusting, scrubbing floors.
Loathe Entirely - Washing dishes (no dishwasher) and cleaning the toilet.

The rest are mere tolerations until I win the lottery and hire a maid.