Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Monkeys


So I think monkeys are pretty funny. I bet even, that you don't find monkeys as funny as I do. In 2001 before I served my mission, I watched the "Grinch who stole Christmas" with Jim Carrey. There's a scene wherein a frustrated grinch is getting his head smashed by a mechanical monkey banging cymbals together. If there's a funnier motif than a mechanical monkey with cymbals, I defy you to find it. The theatrical denizens tittered politely for an apropriate amount of time. Yours truly, however, was laughing loud and long, well after the scene had changed. I would have thought that 8 years had tempered my love of the primate percussionist, but that is not the case. We were learning about adrenal disorders in class, and the teacher drew the comparison between an adrenal gland spontaneously secreting cortisol to an elephant running wild and trampling the bleachers (which ones? I don't know, he didn't say). That got me smiling. Then he compared a small cell lung cancer secreting ACTH which causes unregulated cortisol release to a runaway elephant with a monkey on it, whipping it. The class chuckled gently, and, remembering my experience in the theater 8 years ago, I fought hard to not laugh out loud. But I was grinning to myself with my head bowed so the teacher wouldn't see me as he changed topics. I'm still grinning as I write this. I guess this is why my sister has managed to find a different monkey card for my birthday for at least a decade.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

As I was reading this, I was hoping that you were going to tell us that you let out one of your chuckles in class, while the rest of the class giggled politely. Your boistrous "Ha Ha Ha!", which I admit I thought was fake for a long time, can make anyone laugh with you.

Mike said...

I loved that random comment by Paniagua. It created a hillarious mental picture for me also. I'll let you know if I encounter anything more zany than a monkey with cymbals. Chickens have to be up there.