Sunday, March 22, 2009

Getting the Ball Rolling

I haven't posted for a while. It seems like whenever I post on the blog, I suddenly start seeing and thinking about tons of things to write about. But, when I don't post for a while, I lose the knack for writing, and I don't think that anything I think about is worth sharing. I do have several thoughts floating around in my head today, so let's just see what comes out, and we'll get the ball rolling on this blog thing again...

Spiff has just finished Spring Break, and he found himself doing quite a bit of service this week. He has unselfishly given up some of his precious free time working a the HRC and serving people in our ward. I am grateful to be married to the type of man who will do this. He is a good example to me. I love serving my friends, and I try to do what I can to help them when they need it. I like to think that they can ask me for help, or accept it if I offer. I, on the other hand, have a hard time serving people I don't know or love. I find myself avoiding opportunities to serve, or begrudgingly serving only because I have been asked, all the time thinking of how I am barely being able to hold myself and my own life together, much less help others with theirs. I pray for help to be more Christlike, and I know that this is one of my biggest challenges, and I am grateful that Spiff is my willing example.

On a lighter note, I am quitting the scrapbooking business. That is kind of a misleading statement, since I have never really been in the scrapbooking business to begin with. I was introduced to this past-time in college by several fanatic friends who were amazingly good at it and created beautiful memories. I decided to jump on the bandwagon and invest in supplies, and I tried several times to creatively display my memories. However, I found that I am not good at it. Not only that, I don't really enjoy it. While I admire my friends' beautiful books, I found that I couldn't organize the pictures, paper and journaling into something artistically beautiful enough to be satisfying to me. So I resorted to plain photo albums, and then most recently to the digital iphoto version of the photo album. So, yesterday, I made a big decision and decided to get out. I am purging myself of all of my scrapbooking supplies! I went through all of my crafty things and pulled out the stickers, cutters, templates, cropping tools, and 12x12 papers, put them in a box, and am getting ready to ship them to a friend who's mother is just getting into scrapbooking. I don't know why, but making this decision makes me feel slightly more confident in myself. I bought into it, tried it, disliked it, and instead of feeling guilty about it, I'm quitting it. Go me! On to some new, creative hobby! Any suggestions?

I have many other floating thoughts, but this post is getting long. I should break it up, lest my readers get bored. I think it has done the trick for me, though. I'm already thinking of more things to post. So, stay tuned for more exciting thoughts and stories from yours truly. Wahoo!

2 comments:

cfg said...

Good choice. I have discarded quilts i have never finished, magazines i will never read, clothes I will no longer wear. It's very liberating. cfg

Kev and Chels said...

Congrats on the purgation! It really is liberating. I'm trying to do the same. Why keep the stuff around and deal with the bizzarro feelings of guilt that sometimes accompany certain crafty pasttimes:) See you on Saturday. I can't believe our race is less than two weeks away!