Saturday, December 06, 2008

America the strange


So this is a picture of what I want for Christmas. This is the perfect gift. It combines NASCAR with Thomas Kinkade. Yes folks, for a limited time, two of the classiest things in America are united in one perfect painting. Look at the jets, and the little boy perched on his daddy's shoulders, just waiting for some fiery mayhem to entertain his drab little Dickensian life. It's almost Norman Rockwell-esque, only this is Art, whereas Norman Rockwell was just some paint-by-numbers hack. Perhaps I have those reversed. No matter, Thomas Kinkade has finally engraved the Sport of Kings with his enchanted brush.


Additionally, I have decided to use my car as a tombstone. There seems to be a trend in our fair city of putting up a sticker in the back window of the car saying "In Loving Memory of Wallace "Buck" Servohammer, 1981-2004." Granted, there are probably a disproportionate amount of untimely deaths, especially in the north. Why the automobile, however? What can a rolling epitaph acomplish that a stone monument cannot? I can only assume that the car itself is "in loving memory". That, to preserve the untainted memory of their loved one, the driver purchased this automobile. Thus, quite literally, the car is "in loving memory of Joe "pink-eye" Jones". Perhaps the phenomenon is even more macabre. The family, unable to afford a traditional burial plot, elected instead for a motorized one. The car, then, is a mausoleum with the remains inside, and the sticker is an affordable epitaph.

This brings me to another point. There is a local cemetery with an associated vault that claims on the entry sign to be "A Library of Lives". Implicit in the use of the term library, is the notion that items may be borrowed and returned. Presumably then, one can, as a member of the library, check out some remains, which are due back within a specified time period. I don't even want to contemplate what people do with the cadaver during their loan period. I wonder if there are very popular corpses which you can only check out on reserve? Also, if it truly is a library, doubtless one does not check out the same 'volume' every time. What do people look for as they comb the shelves? "Oh, this one looks good, he was around in the 1790's." They might say to themselves, hoping to check out a piece of history.

Well, these are the ghoulish thoughts that my have occupied my mind of late.
-SS

5 comments:

cfg said...

I see this as another research paper for "death and memory." That class has turned out to be a catalyst in your life. Start documenting it with photos and a publication can be yours.

cfg said...

why did we waste time at the Louvre and joints like that? They never had real art as I recall. If I could get that image on a fleece panel, it would make a perfect quilt.

Madame Palmkey said...

I saw those signs all the time on my mission and wondered the same thing! When you buy your memorial car for me, I'd really like my decal to feature Calvin peeing on a Ford sign with a confederate flag over it. Also I'm returning the gifts I bought and devoting the rest of my week to getting you that print.

Madame Palmkey said...

I saw those signs all the time on my mission and wondered the same thing! When you buy your memorial car for me, I'd really like my decal to feature Calvin peeing on a Ford sign with a confederate flag over it. Also I'm returning the gifts I bought and devoting the rest of my week to getting you that print.

Motion DeSmiths said...

Cars? Psshhh. In Utah it is common to give your loved ones a billboard memorial. And not on just one or two shabby local billboards, no. We're talking multiple billboards up and down the Wastach front. Depending on who is advertising on the other side of your billboard, I think this is an incredibly classy means of paying tribute in a way the deceased are sure to see from heaven.