Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Professionalism-all the time?

So is a doctor always "on" in the sense that they must refrain from certain activities in their non-professional lives that would cast a poor reflection on their profession as whole? I don't know. Is medicine just a job like any other? can a doctor afford to cut loose after work the same way that a construction worker can get soused and make a fool of himself in a bar after a week's work? I don't know the answers to these questions. For me, I don't think that my life is compartmentalized like that. I'm always an LDS guy which influences my behaviour across the board.
The reason I raise this question is not because I want to tout my own righteousness. Heaven knows I'm not perfect, just trying not to be too bad. I ask this because some of the after-school behaviour of my classmates. Med students seem to be just as hard drinking a group as any bunch of undergrads, with the exception that perhaps they time their binges more judiciously. After our anatomy test two weeks ago, there was quite a bash at a local bar. I know this because most of the drunken baccanalia was commemorated on Facebook. This is not any cause for alarm, or even anything of note. These fĂȘtes happen after every exam. The reason this boozefest is different was that some of the pictures are not what I would want floating around with my name attached. I only hope that my classmate in this picture (warning: immodestly dressed male in photo) somehow gets it off the internet before some program director at a residency finds this on google or facebook. I have blurred his image, but a fully labelled version is easily found.

No comments: