Sunday, October 14, 2007

Moron Dissecting

Last Dissection Day! So our last dissection was the lower leg and dorsum of the foot. This was a pretty easy dissection really, since the muscles are divided neatly into compartments. We pretty much had only to run our fingers between the muscles to free them up, cut them from their origins, and dissect the nerves and vessels on the posterior aspect of the knee. The only awkward thing was that our cadaver still had both legs attached at the pelvis. In order to dissect the aforementioned popliteal neurovasculature, I had to spent hours bent double looking backwards at what I was doing. Also, the amount of fat and grease was incredible. The floor around our table was like the inside of a McDonalds fish fryer and very slick. Two weeks ago we divided the pelvis on a few of the cadavers to more easily access the contents. In essence we divided the body in half the long way. Pretty interesting stuff.

Ok, now I'll explain the post title. Before we divided the pelvis, some of the other people on my cadaver were dissecting the pelvic contents. Since they are consistently clueless and generally not bright, they inadvertantly cut the uterus in half and removed it. You might argue, well, anyone can make a mistake like that, things are hard to see and distinguish. Ok, maybe that's true. There was, however, no instruction to remove anything. This is also the 9th week they've been dissecting.

The organs were pretty much exposed and only needed to be identified. I asked one of them why there was half the uterus missing. "I dunno, I guess we must have nicked it when we were removing some fascia. Ok, nicked sure. Removed????? What the heck were they using a scalpel for that far in? Fascia?? not where you were! peritoneum? Broad ligament? These are structures that are present, but what the heck were you using a scalpel for? Can't you tell the difference between fascia and organ??? The uterus has a lumen for crying out loud!

Ok tirade done. These two have been the bane of our team for several months and I am tired of their ineptitude.

1 comment:

mhw said...

"If you don't start cooperating I cut off a finger! Yours or mine?"

Spies Like Us - Chevy Chase and his interogating Soviet police inside a cabin after being caught on the road to Dushambay.

I say remove the scrotum of a male cadaver, neatly place by the liver and ask the two ineptuals to please assist in identifying this strange pubic haired anomaly for team...that is what I did but I asked the professor to assist with this identification. After only a few seconds, he looks back at me curiously and says..."I'm not sure".

CW