Monday, April 28, 2014

The Boys and This Pregnancy

My boys seem to be excited about this baby.  Here are a few of their reactions as they have experienced this pregnancy with us:

When we first told them about the baby, Gunner tilted his head and said, "Are you kidding me?!"  Very skeptical, he was.
___

A few times earlier on in the pregnancy, I wasn't feeling well and had to sit down.  Spiff explained to the boys that I wasn't feeling well because of the baby hurting my tummy.  We had this conversation:
Gunner asked: "Is the baby biting you, Mommy?"
Me: "No, the baby doesn't have any teeth."
Gunner: "Is the baby gumming you?"
Hobbes: "Does the baby have gum?!?!"
___

Spiff introduced the baby the boys as "Juniper Jellybean".  The name has stuck, and they often refer to her as "Juniper" or "Jellybean" or "Junior Jellybean". 
___

Gunner decided at one point that he was going to be in charge of naming her.  He picked the name, "Rose Zea" and adamantly insisted that it was her name.  I didn't have the heart to tell him that the name sounds too much like the disease Roseola, so we tried to just let that one peter out.
___

More recently, as I have gotten bigger, I have realized that Hobbes thinks the baby is going to come out of my belly button.  He often asks to "let the baby out".  He lifts my shirt up and "scoops" the baby up from my belly button, pretending to hold a cute tiny baby.  When he's done, he puts her back.
___

They are very sweet, and they seem excited to meet their sister.  Gunner tells me that he will help me out and hold her when I need him to.  He also knows that I don't feel well often, and he tells me, "It's okay, Mom.  You can have a nap whenever you want."  It's super sweet of him, but he knows that he gets to watch TV when I'm napping.  I guess it's a win/win situation for us.

I really do think they are going to love love love this baby, though.  My best prediction is that she's going to be smothered by both of her big brothers.

No comments: