Friday, May 18, 2012

Marathon Tomorrow!

Well, because I know you're all dying to know, here's a little update before the marathon tomorrow.

Did I just say "tomorrow"?  I did, didn't I?  Oh, gosh, that's scary. 

Okay, moving on.

It has been a tough couple of weeks.  I was so sore last week.  I literally limped for most of the week, with shooting pains up into my groin every time I took a step or stood directly on my left leg.  Difficult to take care of the kids, put on my pants, care for my house, or anything else.  I cried all week long, seeing this goal of mine being taken away from me after working so hard because of something that I didn't understand.  And poor Spiff, since he was working nights all week long, I only saw him for about 5 minutes each day, and I cried at him for all 5 minutes every day.

Gunner asked me what was wrong one day.  I told him that my leg hurt, and that I didn't think I would be able to run my marathon.  The sweet guy replied, "It's okay.  It's going to be okay, Mom.  I'm going to run your marathon for you."

I love him.
Anyway, I saw a sports medicine doctor on Monday.  He did some ex-rays and an exam.  It was inconclusive.  He didn't think it's a pulled or torn muscle.  He couldn't see anything on the ex-ray.  He did say that he thinks it's probably the beginnings of a stress fracture in my hip bone, but it's new enough that it doesn't show up on the picture.  Scary thought, the stress fracture.

He did tell me that I can run the marathon as long as I'm smart about it and am listening to my body.  Too much pain = stop running.

I went on a short test-run yesterday.  It was okay.  I didn't feel perfectly better, but I wasn't in pain.  Mostly just stiff.  And I have felt okay since then.  So, I'm going to run tomorrow, and I'm hoping for the best.  I feel weird going into it not having really trained for the past three weeks, and knowing that there is a good possibility that I won't finish.  But I'm going to give it my best shot, try to be in tune with my body, and hope for the best.

My sweet sister-in-law has been so nice to me through all of this, calling and checking up on me, etc., and she dedicated her latest blog post to me yesterday.  It made me smile.  Thanks, Mhana!  And if I end up dropping out, I will be expecting that shirt.

Wish me luck!  Here we go!

No comments: