Tuesday, May 08, 2012

The Bad and the Ugly

Spiff is on his second surgery rotation right now, and he is working nights this week. Nights shifts are hard on the whole family. The pressure to be quiet all day so daddy can sleep is very stressful for me and the kids. And Spiff is so tired. Poor guy.

Hobbes is not sleeping at night these days. Again. Sleep training is miserable every time.

Gunner is recovering from Spiff's family togetherness reunion and a second fun weekend spent with my family. He is so tired, and he is reaching new heights of grumpiness and defiance.

We're moving in 5 1/2 weeks, and I haven't had the energy to even think about packing.  I don't want to pack up my house again.

My marathon is in a week and a half, and I'm battling a new injury. I rested for a week, without many healing results. I am frustrated, disheartened, sad and afraid. My whole training has gone so well up until now. In fact, our last 20 mile run was the best run of my life. And now I am in constant pain. I want to run this marathon. I can't fathom the thought of not doing it. My goal from the beginning has been to run well, feel good, and finish strong. Now I am facing the possibility that I will be running with pain, and that I might not be running at all if I can't get better in the next week. It is killing me, and I am constantly praying for a miraculous recovery as I limp around taking care of the kids.

And I feel like I'm coming down with a cold.

Hard days right now. Blah.  Anyone have any words of encouragement for me?

3 comments:

Madame Palmkey said...

Hmm, words of encouragement. If you end up not being able to run, I will gladly fashion you a congratulatory T-shirt and medal. You can proudly wear it. It definitely will have pompoms and probably glow in the dark paint. And googly eyes. I'm big on those.

I officially give you permission to skip church on Mother's Day. Yeah I know you probably have to conduct the adorable munchkins through a song or five. But I say treat yourself to a brunch. The only ward members who would possibly see you are also sinning byskipping church.

I won't say "it'll all get done" because I hate it when people say that, as though somehow little fairies will be thea gent of that, instead of me and my stress and my hard work. Yeah, it'll all get done. By you. Poor dear.

Remember once you move to Minnesota there will be less family togetherness which is kind of a downer but has the up side of allowing you to reestablish routines.

Your house in Minnesota is big and multi-storied, making it easier to have space for little ones to rampage at a distance.

You'll be getting to Minnesota at the perfect time to plant tomatoes.

When you can't take it anymore, write down the rich fantasy of motherhood you'll be telling your daughters-in-law some day about how your sons sat quietly reading scriptures in church and they only needed time outs because they yelled their love for each other too loud and too long, and they hugged so hard they tore their shirts.

Your commenter thing asks me to prove I am not a robot, but I cannot. I don't think science has gotten that far. The words are alopea (which is what I need to go do -- alopeainthetoilet and belysin -- what I committed by eating four caramel apples in the last twenty-four hours. Chris helped.)

Sorry things rot right now.

Lauren said...

Mhana, your comments made me laugh, so I hoped it worked for you too Mindy. Sorry things are so stinky right now. I wish we lived closer so that I could help you pack, or at least take the rug rats from you so that you could pack in some sort of piece. I'm happy to see that you're moving into a bigger place. I don't think I'll ever be able to downsize out of this house now that I'm used to so much space. It does us all good when the boys don't have to be constantly underfoot.

You are an awesome mother. I really don't think I could do all that you so with such a busy husband. I barely make it through tax season, and that's just for a few months out of the year. I am in total admiration of you!

Nurse Graham said...

I just wanted to wish you good luck on your marathon tomorrow. I read these words on Runner's World yesterday..."Run in the mile you are in" and "You know you're going to hurt so just accept it and get comfortable with it".

Good luck. I'll be looking forward to your race report.