Sunday, January 08, 2012

Let's Talk About Primary Music

I am the Assistant Primary Chorister in our ward. Yes, I did say "Assistant." This ward we live in is lucky enough to have two primary choristers. It makes sense to me because the primary chorister job is a big one. One where you have to entertain a varying age-group of kids, and one that you're "on" every week of the year. It's also one that you have to basically pull off a primary program by yourself. Well, that's not so fair to say, since the presidency and the teachers do so much work. But really, a whole lot of it is on the shoulders of the chorister. So, it's nice to have a partner so that we don't have to teach singing time every week.

I have had this calling for about four months, teaching about every other week. It's a fairly natural calling for me, since I am a musician and was basically born to be a music teacher. That being said, coming up with interesting lesson plans for the group of kids is difficult. I want to be able to pull something together that is simple and reverent, yet fun and entertaining, in a reasonable (i.e. short) amount of prep time. But finding such an activity that will appeal to both young and older children alike is difficult, and I stress way too much about it every time it is my turn to teach.

For example, today I taught the new 2012 Primary Song, which is printed in the little handout booklet the general presidency gives to every ward. I found an idea on a blog that sounded easy, but found out that prepping it took waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time. Then the more I did of it, the more her idea didn't make sense, and I wanted to do something else but had way too much time invested in it to start over. Super frustrating. I may or may not have stormed around the house at one point bemoaning the fact that none of the flashlights in our house had working batteries. (editor's note: the author did in fact have a snit re: batteries.)

This was my first Sunday teaching the junior and senior primary kids as separate groups (they had previously been combined). The lesson actually worked pretty well with the junior primary, although I found out that I had some pretty gaping holes in my lesson. I filled the holes before teaching the senior kids, got all geared up, and started my lesson. And do you know what? It is HARD to get senior primary kids to sing. The all stared at me with that look in their eyes that said, "You have got to be crazy if you think I'm going to sing this song." I continued with my 20-minute lesson with a huge fake smile on my face like it was the very best lesson anyone has ever done. At one point, one kid actually asked me, "Did you make this song up?" I showed them the printed music. No. I did not make up this song. Now sing! With a smile! And like it, dang it!!!

Now, I have two other problems. First, I don't like this new song. Here is a simplified version of the sheet music. I am not a fan of Janice Kapp Perry's music. This song, like many of her others, is uninteresting, the lyrics don't rhyme (how do you get away with rhyming "choose" and "too"?), and the melody is unmemorable, which will make it difficult for the kids to learn. I wish I liked it. I guess all children's songs are sweet when sung by our sweet little kids. But it's hard to be genuinely enthusiastic about teaching a song that you don't like. The kids sense it, and they call you out on it, and then eat you alive.

My second problem is that Gunner is now in Primary!!! He had his first day as a Sunbeam today. And he did okay. He didn't cry until (I heard later) he got to his classroom with his teachers and wanted his mom. Apparently he knocked over a chair in his anger. Yikes! How in the world do I teach that kid that it's okay to be with other adults than just me? And that it's never okay to just, oh, I don't know...Knock Over Chairs because you're mad!!! I'm a bit mortified about that.

But anyway, he's in Primary with me now. And I'm trying to lead the kids, keep all of their attention, get them all involved somehow, give turns to as many as possible, AND have my three-year-old hanging off of my arm now. During the 20 minutes of junior singing time today, Gunner was out of his chair no less than 20 times. "Mommy, I want to help you stick the paper up!" "Mommy, I want to help you lead!" "Mommy, I want my toys!" (I borrowed some of his toys as props today. I knew it was a bad decision when I did it. Putting the lesson together was a pain in the tookus, you see, so I did it anyway.) I'm surprised that my arm didn't fall off because of the amount of time he spent hanging off of it.

And that was week #1.

I guess I know what I'll be praying for in the weeks to come.

6 comments:

kalie said...

Oh, that is too funny! I know what you mean about senior primary kids. When I was the primary chorister, the only way I could get them to sing and like it was by challenging them to a sing-off in which I sang louder than the entire primary. In other words, not a reverent strategy at all. Some of the songs they pick for the kids are LAME.O. I think we should just teach them Scripture Power and Follow the Prophet and call it a program.

What? Follow the Prophet has six verses or something! ;)

In other news, I had a church meltdown of my own tonight. So you are in good company.

Madame Palmkey said...

whew! It makes me glad just to teach RS. I had foolishly coopted questions from a blog that had RS lesson plans -- I'd thoughtand prayed and planned my lesson, but it was a mistake to borrow words. I had that awkward staring silence thing> YIKES. So I just winged it thinking of questions to discuss as we went. Thank heavens for years of teaching sullen unprepared freshmen, middle aged women were a breeze. I don't envy you one scrap. I don' t know how you do it.

Justin and JoLyn said...

Agreed 100%. Few people know that primary chorister is one of the hardest callings in the church. Right now I'm in the primary presidency.... much easier. When I was the chorister, I would come home utterly exhausted and then immediately start planning next week's lesson. Do you know what our ward does? We, also, have two choristers, but they switch months. It's kinda cool because you get an entire month off to recharge, brainstorm, and start to miss it a little. Also, when I started focusing on teaching the message of the song--I received the best response. I find that the Spirit is so eager to teach these pure kids--it's there--pure & strong--when you teach the Gospel through music. Good luck Mindy! And hang in there!

Lauren said...

I subbed for the chorister a few weeks ago (they were desperate) and it was really hard!

Josh's first week of sunbeams was horrible too. They had to open up a classroom attached to the room (that they used for the last autistic kiddo who is now 7) and let Josh go into there because his screaming fits were upsetting too many of the other kids.

When the primary president came over later to talk to me, she said that it was a pretty terrible week. I knew she didn't mean anything by it, but since Josh was the only one freaking out, I took it as it was my son that made things so bad. She wanted Josh to get to know her better, but she kept saying things like "Josh, tell me about so and so" or "Josh, show me..." and expecting him to respond to her. WE can't even get Josh to respond to us like that most of the time. I don't think she was here long enough to know that Josh wasn't pointedly ignoring her, but he just doesn't communicate like a normal 3 year old.

So what I'm trying to say is that knocking over a few chairs isn't a reflection of you as a parent, but pretty normal for a young child who's routine has been totally messed up and he has now power to change things. Very frustrating for little Gunner. And it will get better, I know it will.

Maggie said...

Our primary chorister had her little girl hanging off her the entire time last Sunday too! Sitting in my chair I thought it was hilarious, but I can see your point of view. I'm sure he'll figure things out with time. Good luck with the song. Charlotte actually seemed to like the new song, which isn't hard since she basically likes every primary song known to man.

Mel said...

i think the only calling that scares me more than Primary Chorister is Gospel Doctrine teacher. I have no advice, only best wishes that it gets better.