Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sunday Afternoon Agenda

Today was a long Sunday, with Spiff at work all day. The Sundays Spiff is working seem to drag on forever, and I have a hard time figuring out what to do to entertain my kids when going to a park or a store is out of the question. I got lucky today, though. I had a really awesome kid to keep me company. Here's how we spent the afternoon.

  • I started to play the piano, and immediately had two boys wanting to play along.
  • Then Gunner wanted to dance to the piano music, so he danced. Then he wanted me to dance with him.
  • Dancing led to him getting his dancing dress-up on (which is a "pretty dress" that is really just one of my old shirts).
  • It also led to me turning on some old clips of Dancing With the Stars dances, me "lifting" him gracefully off the couch (this kid has got some moves, let me tell you!), and him putting on his Robin (Batman's sidekick) suit on, so he could look like Helio Castroneves in a suit.
  • Dressing up as Robin led him to dressing up as Batman himself, which led to him driving a Batmobile he created from a diaper box.
  • Then he dressed up as a Super Fireman, which is a Fireman who sports a Red cape. He saved Hobbes and me from many a fire.
  • But then there was the fire he couldn't save me from, and I got "sick". He made me lie down on the floor so he could nurse me back to health He was the sweetest care-taker. He gave me shots, medicine, and all of his most special toys to help me feel better. He also came to the hospital as a visitor to help me not be lonely.
  • Having me sick on the floor led to him getting out all of the pillows in our house so that I would be comfortable. (Hobbes liked that one. He rolled around on the pillows laughing, like he was a millionaire rolling around on a pile of money.)
  • When he helped me feel better, he got "sick" himself, and I was instructed to "feel him better." Good thing I had a great care-taker to teach me how to take of a sick person.

And that's how we spent our afternoon. He's a fun little kid to play with. Hobbes spent the day following him around, and there were some times when the two of them were both rolling on the floor laughing together. Goodness, I love seeing his imagination develop, and watching the relationship between these little brothers grow.

This is what I call Joy.

7 comments:

Madame Palmkey said...

I feel sick today, i wish he would come feel me better. I would love to play with toys. I even have a doctor kit so he could administer a shot to me.

Lauren said...

What a great imagination! I hope Josh will get to that stage soon. He's a very lineal thinker and doesn't do much imaginative play, at least that I can see. Probably in his babbling world he is. We showed him pretend eating and he likes to bring things to me to eat. I especially love how everything is a cookie. Watching the two boys play together is also one of my favorite things.

Good luck making it through those long days alone. You are a great mom!

Pulcheria said...

Love this! What a great Sunday!

kalie said...

Oh, Mindy. This is the best post ever. The image of Hobbes rolling in money made me laugh out loud.

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

I can totally relate to these LONG Sunday afternoons! So glad that you were both able to make it awesome! You're the best! I'm going to have to have a good attitude going to church tomorrow alone!

lulu said...

Sweet sweet joy!

Linzi Lou, Samantha Boo, Madi Moo, and Chris too said...

I just had to laugh as I read this because currently, we are experiencing a long, never ending, dad at work kind of Sunday. Third in a row this month. It almost makes me wish church was longer...almost. Instead of dress up though, I keep feeding Samantha goldfish and handing her random stuff so I too don't die of boredom!!! here's to Sundays!