Thursday, November 17, 2011

Fix-It Christmas

Okay, so I'm skipping the Thanksgiving post for now, and heading right on to Christmas. If you refuse to acknowledge Christmas until Thanksgiving is over, then I'll see you next week.

I will first admit that I'm not looking forward to buying gifts for my loved ones this year because I (once again) do not have any great ideas for any of them. I feel like this always sneaks up on me, and I always end up procrastinating it until I end up spending too much money on shipping right before Christmas. Either that or getting into a losing battle with a post office worker. Gift buying ends up being a big stressor for me. I don't know how to quickly come up with something great, that doesn't seem chintzy on a small budget. I'd love to get awesome things for the people I love, or do something lovely, heartfelt and homemade. But I don't have the time, money or talent to pull off anything great like that. Sigh. I guess I'll be praying for some inspiration.

Second, Spiff and I have decided not really to buy each other gifts this year. With a move coming up in June, and in an effort to keep the cost down and the level of "stuff" in our house to a minimum, we have come up with what we are calling "The Fix-It Christmas."

Instead of buying new things, we are spending any money we would spend on gifts fixing things that have been on a To-Fix list for months/years. We are upgrading things. And we are replacing things.

It's not elaborate. Little things, like my watch battery that hasn't worked for about a year and half. Spiff's heart-rate monitor battery that needs to be sent out to a special place to be replaced. New running shoes that I need for my upcoming marathon. Parts for the Yakima rack that we'll need for the move. Etc.

It sort of takes the surprise out of the gift-giving and receiving side of things, and it does seem sort of lame to get/give a watch battery for Christmas. But I feel a whole lot of peace with our little plan, knowing what's coming up in our lives, and knowing that we did something to minimize the chaos in our home. Besides that all of it will be done with money that we will need to spend anyway, so we might as well wrap it up and put a bow on it. Don't you think?

4 comments:

Madame Palmkey said...

Well...I guess prepare to pack a bunch of stuff. Because I will be sending stuff. I'm a stuff kind of girl, as you know. I applaud your decision, if it makes you happy. I also sometimes stress about finding the perfect gift, but I also get real pleasure out of prowling around trying to find things for the fam. I HATE having to find something RIGHT NOW, but I LOVE the "I'm shopping oh he would LOVE that oh I can justify buying it because it is CHRISTMAS in only FOUR MONTHS! YAY! To the present closet!" So yes, I will be sending the usual accumulation of presents that has been sitting in the closet since August.

That being said, I have no ideas for you Minty. So think of something you want but DO NOT I repeat DO NOT need. I will not be sending new swiffer rags, even if it means you literally stick to your floor. Frivolity only will be heeded. It is my grownup Christmas wish.

Nurse Graham said...

I LOVE that idea! Sure, we all love a new "something" at Christmas, but sometimes what means even more is actually having things fixed. Matter of fact, I would just like the brake light on my car finally installed--it's only been since April.

Behrmans said...

Hey Mindy, it's been awhile. Hope all is well with you.

kalie said...

Yes. My friend wraps everything she buys during November and December and puts it under the tree. Well, except food.

Kevin knows everything he's getting. It does sort of take the fun out of it, but I admire your level head prevailing.