Monday, October 03, 2011

The Neighbors

This is a picture of someone getting arrested right in front of our house. Sorry the picture is so crappy. I was taking it from inside my house (so as not to be such an obvious creeper), and the reflections from my window are terrible. But you get the gist, right?
Notice the guy on the right who has rubber "drug-finding" gloves on? And the black unmarked police vehicles? There were at least seven of them on the street. There were police milling around the house all afternoon, and even a Drug Dog that got in that white car and sniffed all around. Interesting to watch. Exciting drama at our place today!

I have actually been thinking about posting something about our neighbors for a while. But Spiff informed me that the home teachers said that they would be moving soon, so I held my tongue. Until the drug bust today.

Gunner has made friends with the neighbor kids. One of the kids is an 8-year-old boy who is very nice and well-mannered. He comes over and brings his cool "big kid toys" that Gunner loves to play with. I don't actually mind when the big kid comes over because it keeps Gunner completely occupied for a couple hours.

I do mind it when his little sister (who is seven, I think) comes over, too. She knocked on the door the other day. I opened it. She said, "Um, is my brother here?" I said, "Yes, he is." She stared at me. Then she said, "Well, can I come in?" I let her in.

She's a decent kid, too, except that she's a big more negative than her brother. She says sort of mean things. And when she comes, her brother plays with her and not with Gunner. Then the two of them are playing with each other, at my house, with Gunner's toys, ignoring Gunner.

It's weird.

I have all these concerns, but they have mostly stemmed from the fact that I don't know the family. I worry that they'll teach Gunner behaviors that aren't appropriate for a 3-year-old because they don't seem to understand that he is a lot younger than them. I worry that he feels bad when the sister is around and he is being ignored. But mostly I worry that they will take him out of my house and across the street to their house without me knowing.

The other day, the kids were here, and I told them that Gunner, the baby, and I had to go run an errand. The boy said, "Well, can Gunner come to our house?" I said, "No." Him: "But I could ask my mom to watch him." Me: "Um, no thanks." Him: "But it's not a big deal at all. He could just come over." Me: (Letting out a little scream in my head) "No! I'm just going to take him with me!"

And then today. The drug bust. Gunner asked me, "Can I play with my friend?" I said, "Well, honey, he's probably going to be busy today." Gunner: "Why?"

Oh boy. How do I explain that one to a 3-year-old?

The kids are nice. I'm just uncomfortable with the whole situation. And I feel bad for hoping that they really do move soon.

6 comments:

Madame Palmkey said...

Wait to be perfectly clear it was their parents in the drug bust? Or just you live in a crappy neighborhood? Or at least have one unfortunate neighbor? I wish you lived across the street from me. Then Gunner could come and play in my big back yard which is fenced on all sides. Or he could play in our rumpus room, which is currently housing the contents of our kitchen and is filthy and dangerous. I would slip him treats and roughhouse and then leave him to you! Or I would read him really really good books like a good auntie. I wish you lived in our neighborhood.

Mindy said...

Ok, I don't think it was the parents. The guy who was arrested was definitely not the parents. And since I don't know the family, I don't know who he was. It could be a brother, or a cousin, or step-brother, uncle? It seems like one of those homes where there are many family members of all ages coming and going all the time.

The Yellers live about two houses down from this family. They are disturbers of the peace as they yell profanities during domestic disputes.

The people across the street haven't ever disturbed anyone, as far as I know. They just house drug dealers, apparently.

Pulcheria said...

It amazes me that your neighborhood is still so exciting AFTER you left St. Louis. Hopefully things will calm down. As for worrying about Gunner - go ahead, its your job to make sure he's not ignored in his own home. And I know a seven year old who ADORES him and would love to play with him. Give him kisses from all of us.

kalie said...

YOUR PICTURE IS AWESOME!!! I laughed all over again just thinking about how funny (or not?) that was.

Behrmans said...

I didn't read the whole thing you wrote but I wanted to say hello. I love the picture!!!

Linzi Lou, Samantha Boo, Madi Moo, and Chris too said...

Wow. You just never know who you live next door to eh? The other night our neighbors 2 doors down were seriously up and yelling in the backyard until like 5:30 in the morning. I am quite sure they were drunk. i kept saying to chris, should we call the police? but he can sleep through anything so it didn't bother him.