Friday, July 23, 2010

Small Truths

I am in Utah with my family while Spiff is getting ready to head to a month-long away rotation. Gunner and I miss him. I still can't imagine being away from him for that long, and I am hoping that he has a good experience at this new hospital and new rotation.

Gunner and I traveled on Wednesday, and I learned a few things on this trip:

1. Southwest is hands down the best airline company I have flown with. Their employees are generally friendly and helpful. I enjoyed my experience with them, and they even just changed their policy to allow people to check two bags for free, PLUS a carseat as a free special item. Awesome. I also enjoyed the layover since it was a chance for Gunner to get off the plane, run around, and use some of his energy. I no longer think that the best way to fly with kids is non-stop.

2. Traveling with a 21-month-old lap child is not fun. Never never do it.

3. When your child is throwing a screaming tantrum on the airplane 30 minutes before you're scheduled to land, no one looks at you. No one makes eye contact. No one offers to help, not even the flight attendants. They put their heads down while occasionally send vicious glances your direction, and make you feel like there is something else that you should be doing in order to control your very very very loud, bored, overtired, uncontrollable child. And yes, it is very embarrassing to be the mother of "That Child".

4. While I was being so very embarrassed by my tantrum-throwing one-year-old, I noticed that people were throwing the nasty looks. And while I desperately wanted Gunner to stop screaming, (Please Just Stop Screaming!!!), there was also a vindictive little part of me that thought, "Well, if no one is going to look at me or say anything nice at all, then he might as well scream! Scream, baby, scream!" I apologize to all the people who may be on future flights with me. I also promise not to pinch my child or make him cry on purpose...as long as you're nice to me.

5. It is much nicer to fly when the toddler falls asleep during take-off and wakes up during landing at the destination. I would love that to happen every time. Hopefully Gunner will read this post and behave accordingly when we fly home in a month.

6. I love love love the West. It's gorgeous. The mountains are so very beautiful. The dry heat is tolerable. It cools down at night. There is sometimes even a nice breeze! When I sweat, it actually does something to cool off my body! I am a Western Girl, and I am made for this type of weather. It is going to be very difficult for me to go home and back to heat plus humidity. Spiff might have to do some major convicing in order for me to go back. (Not really, Spiff. We love you and will be with you wherever you are. All I'm saying is that I want you to eventually bring me back...for good.)

Now it's off to a week-long camping trip and a visit to Yellowstone Park. I'm hoping to see some wild life, and I'm looking forward to cool weather. (It's supposed to get down into the low 40s at night. Doesn't that sound glorious?!) I'm sure you all wish you were me right now.

4 comments:

Madame Palmkey said...

There was a screaming baby on my flight to France. I decided to distract everyone by screaming and crying myself. I was tired, hungry, and stressed. I hope it took some pressure off the mom.

Lauren said...

I totally hear you about the nasty looks. Unfortunately, since my lil bundle of joy throws fits everywhere, I get the dirty looks in the grocery store, parking lots, church, park, apartment complex... just about every place we come into contact with the outside world. This is why I stay home most of the time. I'm glad you're with your family now and that SW treated you good.

denise said...

I suppose this looks different depending which side of "momdom" you are on. When I flew with my kids I always felt others were giving me dirty looks. Now, however, and I fly a lot, I see this and think "Poor mommy". Most of the other flyers that I talk to have the same reaction. As my old father used to say, "Keep smiling, time goes by pretty darn quick."

Maggies Mom

Pulcheria said...

1. I totally agree. Love Southwest. Like the layover.
2. Again, totally agree. Getting Adri a ticket and her own seat made for a COMPLETELY different flight.
3. I'm sorry that you had to deal with that alone. The first time is the worst.
5. I agree again.
6. I've been home almost 24 hours and I already miss everything you listed. My favorite, besides the mountains, was being able to cool off by standing in shade - what an idea!!
Enjoy your visit. Miss you! Love you!