Monday, July 20, 2009

Self-Indulgence

Spiff and I went on a date on Saturday. An actual date! We went somewhere, the two of us, just for fun. My awesome friend, Maggie, watched Gunner so that Spiff and I could go to the new Harry Potter movie. We haven't been on a date since we had the baby nine months ago. Well, we did go for a twenty minute walk while we were on vacation in June, after Gunner had gone to bed and my parents had agreed to listen for him. Can we count that?

I had a great time, and Spiff cooks up a great date. We went to a really cool theater that was originally a Shriner's Temple and has been converted to a single-screen venue. There is a balcony, ornate decor, chandeliers, and a dome in the ceiling. The crowning glory of the place is the floor seating...rows and rows of plush leather couches! Yes, we watched Harry Potter cuddled up together in front of the big screen on a comfy leather love seat. Very cool! I liked the movie a lot, and I loved my time with husband.

The weird thing is that while I enjoyed my time with Spiff, and some freedom from mommy responsibilities, I found myself missing Gunner. After being engrossed in the movie for a bit, I found myself looking around, expecting to find Gunner rolling around on the floor in front of me. Or I would look at my watch and think to myself, "Gunner should be up from his nap any moment," and then I would prepare myself to pause the movie so we could go get him...before realizing that he wasn't with us at all. I guess that's what happens when you spend almost every moment of the last nine months with a baby attached to your hip.

It's also strange to me that something that was so commonplace to me for so long, such as spending one-on-one time with my husband, has become so foreign. We do spend time together, after Gunner has gone to bed. But we haven't been outside of the house together, without the baby, and I admit that it felt strange to have an empty car seat in the back of the car. I also felt strange about asking my friend to give up her Saturday to watch my son, along with her own two sweet kids. I'm so grateful to her for giving Spiff and me the time together, but since the movie was so long, I felt like I was taking advantage of her. She has definitely earned some brownie points, and some IOU's of babysitting with me.

7 comments:

Nurse Graham said...

I can't believe 9 months has already gone by! It is a good thing that you and Spiff got to spend some alone time out and away from baby responsibilities. It is so easy for couples to get off course when they neglect "couple time" and these next few years are certainly going to be a test to find those few times when you can be alone. Besides, you couldn't have left your little guy in more capable hands. Maggie is awesome.

cfg said...

I am sure you will do something equally valuable for her. One or two dates a year is hardly self-indulgence.

Britta said...

I have to say that I have had some of the conflicting feelings about leaving the kids. And it's gotten harder with each kid, because then I feel like I'm putting people out even more because there are more kids. I still feel strange going anywhere with the empty car seats. I've decided that shopping by myself is heavenly, though.

Maggie said...

Mindy-Gunner is a dream! We love to have him over any time. Plus, there are the times when I run away from my house and just show up at your doorstep and you let me in to talk for a while. That means ever so much to me.

lulu said...

nine months is way to long. You can leave Gunner at my house anytime.

Matt and Christy said...

I love my dates with Matt, too. I can't imagine going that long without some time alone. I'm glad that you were able to watch Harry Potter in such a special theatre.

Lauren said...

Getting out is so important for you both! The best thing you can give your baby is a happy marriage.