Thursday, June 11, 2009

Inherent Flaw

I have done a little clothing shopping lately. I don't usually shop for clothes, due to lack of funds. In fact, the last dress I bought was my wedding dress 4 1/2 years ago. My wardrobe is full of old, worn, dated clothing, and with my changed post-baby body, I have found that some of it just doesn't fit me anymore. So, I am trying to find some items that will give my sad little wardrobe a small boost to get me through the next few years. I have a few requirements, and I don't think I'm picky. I still can't find what I need.

Dresses: There are about a zillion dresses for sale. I would say that 80% of these are of the sleeveless/spaghetti strap variety. The others are too short, too low, too old, too young, or just too expensive. The dress I found for my sissy-in-law's wedding is cute, but it had to be altered just a bit to make it modest (Thank You, Maggie!).

T-shirts: I believe that these requirements are simple. I want something that is comfortable. Not too tight, too short, too low, or too wide in the neckline, or expensive. Am I asking too much?

Here's the flaw, as said sissy-in-law pointed out: Most women don't actually have the bodies that fit the clothing that is being sold. Most of us don't have fabulous upper arms, so why are all the dresses sleeveless? Also, I would say that the majority of women don't want to dress like skanky chickies. So, why are all of the shirts tight and low?

4 comments:

lulu said...

here here!

Anonymous said...

I have found one t shirt that I can count on... GAP's favorite t shirt. If you watch on line it goes on sale fairly frequently, that is when I stock up. I'm OK with last seasons colors anyway. The only one I have to pay full price for is the white one. They are not too tight, good weight and last for three or four years, but best of all...they are long.

Maggie's Mom

Anonymous said...

Wow, Mindy I just checked the gap web site and the t shirt is 6.99 if you are a petite. Since I was sitting down last time we talked I'm not sure how tall your are, but it's a great price for a good t

Kev and Chels said...

we call this shopping for confidence clothes around here and luckily kevin is very supportive of the wife, who feels oh so frumpy post baby, buying a few new things to help me feel better about myself. have you checked out the outlets at the mills? the gap and banana republic there have never let me down. the BR especially has GREAT sales and i really think you could find some cheap but good lookin' t's there. let me know how it goes:) oh, and so glad to hear gunner is sleeping so much better. isn't it so great when they finally get the hang of it? miss you guys!