Sunday, February 08, 2009

The Die is Cast

Well, I have registered for and selected the date of my Step I of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (or simply Step I). June 12 is the fateful day, when I shall dance with fate and her hideous gavotte shall spin me round and leave me no options but to become a psychiatrist. In order to mitigate the affects of said gavotte, or even fate's repulsive minuet, I have begun to study for step I. This would probably classify me as a gunner in the eyes of most of my classmates. I take exception to that, however, as a gunner is someone who subverts other's learning by providing erroneous information in order to maximize their own chances at doing well. I fail to see how my studying will in any way change the outcome of Step I for anyone else. Like a certain husband in Miss Margaret's blog, I have started reviewing micro biology and also reading through First Aid, my step I review book. My hopes are that I will do well enough to have my pick of anesthesiology residency spots, which means I will have to score in the 270's. Ok, that's totally false. Lets just hope I do better than the national average. If I surpass my personal goal, I will let you guys know, trust me.

In other news, I continue to have the persistent hip pain that has dogged me since my mission, 8 years ago. I had hoped that a month and a half of working out at the Y would at least begin to lessen the constant muscle pain, but a run on friday prove me wrong. Back to the drawring board and time to strengthen those crappy little abductors. Maybe Dan could set me up with an early arthroplasty. Of course, that would leave me lame at age 50, but, that's still 23 years away, right? If any of you have any ideas for how to treat my piriformis syndrome (self diagnosis from the internets), let me know. I'm particularly interested in colon detoxification.
ss

4 comments:

Madame Palmkey said...

Think what fun you'll have when your ordeal is over and you can come to Oregon to PLAY! I asked the Smiths if you could stay in their spare room and they were excited and on board. Hooray!

Anonymous said...

Med gunners are apparently not very similar to Law gunners. I hope you have never been the center square for Gunner Bingo at least.

Melissa said...

Thanks for the update on your lives. Yep, we're going ahead with number 5 crazy as it may be. Shawn and I ran the Salt Lake half last year as well. Shawn is running again this year, but I don't expect to be quite ready for that this year. Stop by and say hello when you're in town. Do we get to see any pictures of the baby, or do we have to be regular blog readers for that? Good luck with studying!
Melissa

Maggie said...

I think it is a great idea to start now. You may not have a baby on the way to complicate the issue, but the more studying the better I say. Although it is sort of lame to have a husband that studies at nights now. I finally realize what Mindy was talking about.