Monday, February 16, 2009

Attempt #1

I have been asked to play "Claire de Lune" at a church event on Saturday night. I don't have a lot of time to learn it, and I'm hoping that I'm not too out of practice to play it decently well. But I really do need to practice, seeing as how I haven't played in public for about four years. G.A. got up from his morning nap in a good mood, so I decided to pull out the piece and practice up a bit. I set him up in his bouncy chair with his toys, right next to the piano. I got through the first page before he started fussing. I checked him, and he smiled at me, so I figured that he must be fine. I turned back to the piano, and he immediately let some a string of loud, sad sobs. I picked him up, and he calmed right down.

This is what I learned from this attempt:
1. If Gunner could talk, he would say, "Momma, stop ignoring me!" But since he can't do that, he uses his very effective attention-getting sob.
2. If I'm going to play the piano more often, I'm going to have to ease the baby into it, one page at a time.
3. It turns out that he was hungry. I should try again after a he's well-fed and well-rested and see how it goes.

It makes me wonder how my former grad school colleague accomplished her last two doctoral recitals with a new baby at home. I am also glad I'm not trying to do what she did.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

I know he doesn't sleep for long so this is going to sound like only a crazy person would try it, but have you tried to practice while he's asleep? Would he sleep through it? I know, I know, only a crazy person would do something that could wake up the baby, but it might work. Then again, it might REALLY not.

Anonymous said...

GREAT!
She managed her time well and make out of it.

Anonymous said...

maybe Gunner doesn't like Debussy. Try something else.cfg

Lauren said...

I think all babies come with the automatic sobbing attention-getting cry. Josh is very proficient in its use. Good luck practicing and I'm sure you will play wonderfully.