Monday, December 03, 2007

You're in medschool when...

You read about a friend of a friend on facebook who hurt himself skiing and are more curious about the exploratory surgery than the patient's status. My comp described it thusly: they life-flighted him out and when they got to UofU hospital, they cut open his stomach to see where the bleeding was. After removing his gall bladder and a damaged spleen, he's doing ok. I immediately thought "what artery were they looking for when they cut open the stomach? shouldn't they be looking around it at the pancreaticoduodenal , proper hepatic or splenic arteries? I then realized that my comp probably didn't mean they literally cut open his stomach, but that they cut open the abdomen. Silly insensitive spaceman spiff.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

I LOVE this story Spiff. It is SO true. I had a similar experience with 'clinical habits'...It was just a couple of months before graduation when I went to use the large public restroom at the school---and knocked on the door before entering...I guess I was just protecting privacy. LOL...I felt so dumb. Good thing I didn't offer to help the guy in the second stall go pee!