Tuesday, June 04, 2013

In the Merry Merry Month of May

It's June 4th, and I'm wondering how that happened.  May flew by in a blur at our house.  Spiff worked so so so much all month long (I counted 91 hours one week!), and each of us in the family took turns being sick all month long.  First it was the boys, then me, then Spiff ended the month working his long hours, being miserably sick with a horrible cold.

Allow me to take a moment to reminisce on my illness.  It is my blog, after all, so if I want a moment, I'll take one, and I guess you all get to bear with me.  Or just tune out.  Either way is fine with me.  Anyhoo, Spiff thinks that I have Mono.  I haven't been to the doctor for a formal diagnosis, but I believe Spiff.  He's not one to over-diagnose, and he had it while he was in college, so I believe him.  He has told me that when he had it, he had never been so tired in his life.  He remembers coming home to his dorm room and crashing on the floor for hours to try to catch up on his sleep.

That's all I ever knew about Mono, that it makes people really really tired.  I have been tired during all of this, but honestly it doesn't feel all that different from my normal "I have two small kids, so I'm tired all the time" normal tired.  However, I did not know about the sore throat.  How did I not know about that?!  It is the sore throat that is killing me.  The first few days were so miserable, especially at night when I would wake up not being able to swallow, with pain up in my ears.  And it has lingered.  I'm on week four, and it hasn't gone away.  Gah!  I really hope that it's true that people can only ever have mono once.

Anyway, between all the sick, Spiff's cold, the May 2 snow storm, and the lingering chilly weather, it's been a strange time for us.  But we're getting ready for Spiff's vacation week next week, and our big Summer camping trip.  I do realize that it's not actually Summer yet, and that we are all expecting to be camping with lows in the 30s at night.  But we're so very excited to get out of town and be on vacation!  We are counting down the "Sleeps" until we leave.

Now if only I could wave my magic wand and have all of my errands, shopping, packing and cleaning done for the trip, that would really make me happy.  This is only the eleventy billionth time I have wished I weren't a Muggle.

2 comments:

kalie said...

Hm. It sounds as though you May was not all that merry. I am sorry! I had mono about 10 years ago and I remember that sore throat had me in tears! I hope you are on the mend.

Madame Palmkey said...

As I recall Spiff and I weathered our joint mono cases (he thoughtfully gave it to me) by watching WWII documentaries and playing with our model airplanes, like any responsible 17/20 year old would do. So you could try that.

What I remember doing is coming home from school and mom and I would drive to get soft serve at the DQ drive through. I would eat it in front of the heater, then sleep until dinner, do my homework, go back to bed, go to school and start over.

FYI: exercising can make it linger and relapse if you're not careful. be gentle on the ol' bod and take it easy.