Sunday, December 18, 2011

Simple Sports

I love the simplicity of running. Good running gear is nice, but I love that all you really need to run is a good pair of running shoes. Compared to Spiff's other beloved sports, including biking, rowing and skiing that require a bare minimum of a large investment in order to get started, running seems like the most lovely, simple thing of the athletic world.

These days, however, here's what it takes for me to get out on even the shortest of runs:
My own running gear, including sunglasses, warm winter running pants, jacket, hat and gloves.
My two children, since Spiff is working all hours and they come with me, who both need to be fed and clothed before setting out
Double jogging stroller
Weather shield for the stroller
Coats and gloves for the kids
Blankets
Warmed rice bags for a little extra warmth in the 20 degree weather
Toys and occasionally food for the older one
And my awesome running partner, her little boy (with accompanying equipment mentioned above), and her Magic Garmin Watch to tell us how far and fast we're going.

That's a lot of stuff. It takes me at least 45 minutes to get ready to go for a 30-60 minute run.

Besides that, I have a wish list. I want my own treadmill. I want my own Magic Watch. I want my own Ipod (I know, right?! Who doesn't have an Ipod these days? Spiff has one that he uses at work, but I don't.). I want a new techie running cap and a strap-on-my-hand-while-I-run water bottle. I want new running shoes and socks. I want to register for a whole lot of events.

Some of these things are needs, and some of these will become needs when we move to Minnesota next year. But what this list boils down to is a whole lot of money invested into a sport that is supposed to be as simple and inexpensive as strapping on a pair of running shoes.

5 comments:

kalie said...

You are the amazing one! Hobbies can be such a racket. I have spent hundreds on running gear in the last year. Weird!! But seriously. You don't have an iPod? They are so cheap! Get a little shuffle. Can't wait to talk marathon training!

Nurse Graham said...

My running buddies and I always exchange gifts at Christmas--always Smartwool socks. For birthdays, we pay each others fees to enter local 5k's.

Maybe iPods are overrated. I got my teen-age daughter one last year for Christmas. It still sits in the package completely untouched & unused.

PS Have you done the Salt Lake Marathon? I was thinking about doing it this spring, but the reviews I read were less than stellar.

Mindy said...

Nurse Graham, I have run the SLC Half Marathon three times, and I have loved it. I love the route, and I love watching the bike tour and the hand bikes start before we do. Lots of people and lots of fun. I also love the finish line at the Gateway Mall. The food is awesome. They hand out Creamies and chocolate milk. It's excellent.

However, the people who run it aren't doing such a great job. From what I understand, there are money management issues, with bills not being paid and whatnot. So the money that you put in when you register, doesn't go to the people it should go to. I have heard rumors that it will be shut down. I find that discouraging, and it makes me not want to participate.

I have also heard people say that the Full-Marathon route is not the best out there, although I'm not sure why. I'm running the Ogden Marathon, which is one I have heard great things about. Beautiful scenery and nice, downhill course. Registration for the May 2012 event has already been filled and closed. I have also heard good things about the Top of Utah Marathon.

Nurse Graham said...

Thanks for the info. Too bad about the money managment issues. I'll have to keep the Ogden marathon in mind and if my brother stays in Logan, I may do the Top of Utah.

linzi said...

This made me laugh. I have thought the same thing many times, but with only one child and it is never 20 degrees here!