Monday, August 16, 2010

Stake Conference In Utah

I went to Stake Conference with my sister's family yesterday. Russel M. Nelson was in attendance because their stake got a new presidency. I'm sure he gave a wonderful talk at the end of the session, but I'll have to take it on faith since Gunner was a crazy person yesterday morning and was absolutely not in the mood to sit through a two-hour meeting. (Who ever is, really?) I walked the halls as he ran them, and I was able to catch a few sentences of the talks here and there.

But, here is the cool part...

I took my niece to get a drink before the meeting started. As we were walking down the hall, Elder Nelson was standing in the hallway with just one other guy. I said Hi to him. He looked right at me and said, "Good Morning."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! He practically said Hi to me!

I didn't have the guts to ask him to shake my hand, but I did drop down to my knees after we passed him and explained to my 3-year-old niece (who couldn't care less) that "That guy over there is Elder Nelson, one of our apostles! Can you believe he's standing Right There?! Isn't that neat!?"

So, that's what you might get for going to stake conference in Utah, where apostles still attend the conference in person instead of attending via satelite. Very cool. Sure wish I could have heard his talk.

3 comments:

Nurse Graham said...

We had Elder Hales visit our stake a couple of years ago. I, too, thought it was pretty cool to have an apostle come. It seemed to me that Elder Hales was a little bit more personable and his talk a little less stiff than those delivered during General Conference.

Lauren said...

That is pretty cool! I found one of the best toys ever for Sunday church distraction: magnet books. A good brand is Magnetic Fun Tin. We got the Noah's ark for about $11 and it came with 50+ good magnets. Don't get the LDS adventure ones, because the magnets are tiny and flimsy. We put about 2/3 of the magnets away for now because either they're smaller, or they're the words for the animals that Josh doesn't grasp yet anyways. We'll get those out later when he's older. He played with the magnets for over half of sacrament meeting yesterday. Not that any kid could sit through 2 hours though. :)

Kirsten said...

That's so fun! He's one of my favorites . . . if you can have favorite apostles I guess. I've never met him, but my mom's best friend in high school was his daughter. So she knew him back in the day before anyone was impressed by his presence. So weird to think about!