Saturday, April 03, 2010

Deepest Desires of My Heart

I am not a garage sale-er. I have been to a few yard sales, but I generally don't go out looking for them. I have friends who find amazing things at amazing deals at garage sales, and I sort of wish that I would do it. Apparently, my subconscious thinks so, too.

I have had my eyes on a few items for Gunner. I have looked in stores and online a bit, but haven't purchased anything since they seem like such a luxury. And what are these items? A tricycle and outdoor play equipment (namely a water table) for Gunner. I didn't realize how much I desire, want and covet these things until I had multiple dreams where I find happen upon a garage sale and find perfect deals on these toys. And then I wake up and realize that it wasn't real.

And Gunner is still without a bike. A bike which I thought I bought for him, but that he can't yet figure out how to ride.

I can't tell you how disappointed I have been when I wake up from these dreams. Or how strange I have felt to have dreamt them at all.

I guess I want these things so badly because my boy would love them so much. He loves loves loves other children's bicycles. He's not big enough to actually ride them, but he sure does love to climb on them, sit on them, scoot around on them, and it's an extra special treat if someone will actually push him around on them.

The water table is just an extra. We don't own our back yard, so I don't feel like I can put a kiddie pool out there. A water table sounds like a super fun and easily-storable Summer Fun option for us. I know he would love it.

It's funny that my apparently-very-deepest desires revolve around the potential commercial happiness of my son. I wonder why I'm not dreaming about a month-long vacation with Spiff, say...in Hawaii...without Gunner. Imagine the sleep we'd get! That sounds like a better dream to be having. But I sure wouldn't see Gunner's amazing little smile and hear his contagious laugh if I left him with Grandma and went off to Hawaii without him.

I guess that's why I dream about garage sales.

5 comments:

Seth May said...

Best Bike Ever (for a toddler): http://www.stridersports.com/

Ely loves his. He can ride it without having to learn to pedal (a very difficult skill for wee ones). Ely is still trying to get it on his trike. But the running bikes are totally different. They can figure them out in about 2 seconds flat. Ely can go fast enough that I have to run to keep up. It's a beautiful thing.

Pulcheria said...

The things that I think will make my girls happiest are the hardest for me to resist too! A water table sounds really fun!

Madame Palmkey said...

I dreamed that I was bleeding profusely, just gushing and gushing big goopy blood. Don't know what that means.

Behrmans said...

Mindy, I really want a water table too but need to find a deal on one. Right now I use those really big tubs that you put cloths in, take the top off, turn it over and fill it up with water. I know it’s not the table but it works for now. If you want some height on it put something underneath it. I know… it’s cheap way to do it but it still keeps the kids entertained.

Behrmans said...

Baby Mania is also coming up. It's huge!!! I'm sure you have heard of it but if you haven't get there early. Things go fast.