Sunday, March 14, 2010

Interference

Gunner is a Long Hugger. He is one of those people who goes in for a hug and just doesn't know when to quit. I have had him in nursery a few times and watched him chase down some of the younger kids (older than him), tackle them to the ground with a hug, and continue to hug them while they are begging anyone to help get this kid off them! He hugs babies, and he's mostly soft with them. He hugs older kids, and mostly they just want him to leave them alone. I can tell that he has good intentions, but he just doesn't know when to quit.

Besides that, he is very enthusiastic when he is around other kids. He wants to be involved with them, but they generally don't want to have anything to do with him. This means that when we are together with other kids, I spend my time running interference. I try my best to teach him how to behave around other kids, and to keep him from hurting them (feelings or otherwise). This means that I spend this time keeping him from pushing, taking toys, pulling hair, knocking down towers, and especially tackling with love.

It is exhausting.

I babysat a good friend's 2 1/2 year old for most of the day a month or two ago, and she and Gunner spent the entire day fighting.

I get together for play dates with friends, and I spend the entire time chasing him around, trying to keep him from doing any of the above things. By the end of the play date, I am so tired, frustrated, and stressed that I have wondered if it is worth it for us to get together with other people at all.

But not yesterday. Yesterday I babysat two children. The older one is 3 1/2. I'm not sure whether it's an age thing, or a combination of age and the fact that she is a big sister, but she was amazing! He did his regular tricks, including tackling her with long hugs.

And she just laughed. She hugged and wrestled him back. She played soccer with him. She encouraged him to play with her. She and Gunner actually played together all day long. It was actually easier for me to be at home yesterday while babysitting all day than it normally is because Gunner was being entertained, and I didn't have to constantly referee.

Really what it comes down to is the fact that Gunner should have been a second child. He needs an older sibling. I don't know how we're going to accomplish that, but in the mean time, I'm going to insist that he play with this little girl. A lot. Which is extra good for me since I love spending time with her mother.

5 comments:

Pulcheria said...

Wahoo! It's awesome when you find a relationship that matches what your child needs (and helps you out too)! And (I am just guessing who this little girl is)the picture I formed in my mind of the two of them together made me laugh out loud too!

Madame Palmkey said...

Is he going to be a George Michael? A hug has gotta end some time...

Nurse Graham said...

The new background is great.

Maybe he should be a wrestler when he gets older since holding onto someone for a really long time doesn't seem to be an issue for him.

KevandChels said...

Haha. I think every child should be a second and come with one to entertain them:) Jill and Pete are at the best stage right now, they run off and play together, alone and leave mom to get the jobs done. Then they delightfully reappear when they want to show me something special or just want a hug. Don't worry, this day of reward will come to you too! And let me tell you, when it does, you will appreciate it SO much!

Linzi Lou, Samantha Boo, Madi Moo, and Chris too said...

I am so glad to hear they are alright- what a scare. We all need our parents. It was so good to catch up with you the other night.